Need info on '00-'04 Impalas

krenzy

I'm obviously without car, and I need to fill the void. So I'm tossing it up in the air between a 96-99 Bonneville SSE, non-L67...a 3 cylinder Metro 5 speed...or a '00 through '04 Impala.

I'd like to know the pros and cons about both the engines, and what to look out for. Things I can check on a test drive, and things that may be a warning sign of future problems. I'm up for either the 3.4 or 3.8, though the 3.8's have the center console shifter...making it pretty desireable to me lol.

Really? Each 3400 I've seen has the column shift. I'm interested to know if it was an LS or LT or what package would have had it. I'd prefer to stick with a 60 degree block.

See, according to the research I've done, they list identical MPG's for both engines...

Though the one I took out today, '04 with the 3800, was a powerful engine.

3400's are rated better. I'm wondering what the gearing is between the engines.

They are nice cars, IMHO. My mom had a '05 3400 base car. It was very nice.

Awesome, thanks! I didn't get to try out the stereo in the '04 today, because the damn salesman had to ride with and shove "2.9% Financing" down my fuckin' throat.

The one I'm testing tomorrow has a 3800, over 200K, but in stellar shape..and relatively cheap, too. I saw it today and they had the seats outta it, and were scrubbing and cleaning...I love to see that lol.

the only thing that is a PIA on the 3800 is the power steering dipstick but i found a quick route for that. Not bad cars.

My moms got a 03 Impala base with rds full radio and remotes, etc. 3400 nice car. she love it to death.

the only thing that is a PIA on the 3800 is the power steering dipstick but i found a quick route for that. Not bad cars.

yeah the PS reservoir location makes me want to punch babies in the face. If I were looking for a 3800 Impala, I'd go 04/05. Updated gaskets and UIM!

Can you explain the gaskets and manifold part? This is the info I really need.

Lumina, is your mom's Impala and LS, or LT, or?

Its an Ls, maybe i get snap some pictures of it soon for you.

My moms car the day she got it. Bought it from my work. Nothing better then getting paid to clean your own moms car! :surprised:

000_0205.jpg

000_0201.jpg

000_0200.jpg

000_0204.jpg

It is a 2003 Chevy Impala - it had 7500 miles when she bought it. Just under 30k now.

Its got all the goodies, power windows, doors, etc, keyless, cd rds. 3400 sfi.

Can you explain the gaskets and manifold part? This is the info I really need.

Well, the 2000-2003 3800's had that common LIM gasket failure, where it would leak coolant(much like the 3x00 motors did), and the 04-05 3800's got updated/revised/whatever gaskets that won't fail like the older ones did, so you don't have to worry about it!

Thanks guys for all your helpful info. I did test drive an '02 Impala today, 3800, silver metallic, floor shift, grey interior I think lol. Rode nicely, and I coudl have bought it for $2550, but I passed.

I found a NICE black '00, 3800, with about 60,000 less miles, and a tan interior...very nice one, hopefully I'll be picking it up this weekend.

I like my Impala a lot especially with all the long distance trips i take. 16 hours straight from Wisconsin to Florida.

Common problems....

hazzard switch- causes turn signals not to work. ordered from gmpd.

the fuel level sensor for the gas gauge goes out. ordered from gmpd.

hub assembly issues. when they go bad, trac system gets all f'ed up at first, then it will finally give you a service trac system light.

lights go out in the dash commonly. especially the radio.

Gaskets/UIM failure.

those are the bigger things i can think of. but regardless, i find the interior to be much better than any other w-body. but like the others, good gas mileage on the freeway with the 3.8, even at higher speeds.

I'm obviously without car, and I need to fill the void. So I'm tossing it up in the air between a 96-99 Bonneville SSE, non-L67...a 3 cylinder Metro 5 speed...or a '00 through '04 Impala.

I'd like to know the pros and cons about both the engines, and what to look out for. Things I can check on a test drive, and things that may be a warning sign of future problems. I'm up for either the 3.4 or 3.8, though the 3.8's have the center console shifter...making it pretty desireable to me lol.

How on earth does the Metro get coupled in with that listing of cars???

I really don't think that there is much of a difference between the 3400 and 3800 in quality. I love the torque in the 3800, from a re-sale standpoint, the 3400 has a bit of a stigma about it, thus putting a nice little ceiling on the value of your car if you were to sell it.

I believe (and perhaps I'm wrong), that the LS = 3800 and LT = 3400, someone will have to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that trim level like Grand Prix's determines engines.

When I was car shopping last winter, for some reason, the LS's were higher priced than GP GT's. Maybe there's a stronger market for lesbian cars, who knows?

I would either expand the list, or centralize more on a type of size of car before continuing, that's just me though.

How on earth does the Metro get coupled in with that listing of cars???

I really don't think that there is much of a difference between the 3400 and 3800 in quality. I love the torque in the 3800, from a re-sale standpoint, the 3400 has a bit of a stigma about it, thus putting a nice little ceiling on the value of your car if you were to sell it.

I believe (and perhaps I'm wrong), that the LS = 3800 and LT = 3400, someone will have to confirm, but I'm pretty sure that trim level like Grand Prix's determines engines.

When I was car shopping last winter, for some reason, the LS's were higher priced than GP GT's. Maybe there's a stronger market for lesbian cars, who knows?

I would either expand the list, or centralize more on a type of size of car before continuing, that's just me though.

Since LS is lower on the scale than LT, how does it get the bigger engine?