used motor; part out/ sell whole/ scrap

blakngold4life

what should I do with a 160xxx mile 3.4 dohc and tranny?  

1. 1. what should I do with a 160xxx mile 3.4 dohc and tranny?

• Part out everything desirable and scrap the rest
    • sell engine and tranny seperate
    • sell the unit as a whole
    • scrap it and get what I can

After putting in the new motor I now have a used 3.4 dohc with tranny attached sitting in the garage. The set has 160xxx miles on it, what should I do wit it?

Me personally I would rebuild the engine 1 year and another year rebuild the tranny and keep both in case something happens to the current egine and tranny. But thats just my opinion.

Just put a gm block in my cutty 3.4 vert. I have 2 3.4 cars. I kept the engine to rebuild better then new to put in my z at a later date. Always good to have a spare 3.4 around. :rolleyes:

The purpose for me was to gauge intrest if anyone would be willing to buy it outright or parts from it. If enough people were to say sell this part or that and get more money I would take that into consideration. guess I should have made that more clear.

The purpose for me was to gauge intrest if anyone would be willing to buy it outright or parts from it. If enough people were to say sell this part or that and get more money I would take that into consideration. guess I should have made that more clear.

FEELER THREAD!! BAN! :willynilly:

didnt realize feeler threads werent allowed. I just wanted some input of what some people in like situations would do and if there was even any point in trying to get rid of it. This place has been the biggest place for help through my swap and I just thought you would be the right people to pole on this topic as some of you may have gone through this before and know what the value of the parts are. No one around me has any idea about this engine so I could get verry little back from trying to sell it localy. If this is truly unacceptable someone delte it, but I was just trying to seek advice from the most knowladgeable source I know of.

whats wrong that you removed and replaced them in the first place?

The motor started knocking so we decided to replace the transmission as well since we could get them already attached with under 100k on them. One set of bearings was pretty bad, the rest were okay and my dad didnt want to take the chance of me driving the car away to college and having it die away from home.

You guys have BALLS !! I'm an old gear head, but I wouldn't know where to start pulling and replacing the 3.4 in my CS Vert. :willynilly: Altho, if I did, I'd drop in a supercharged 3800. but I digress. If you plan to keep the car, then I vote for the suggestion about rebuilding them both at your leisure for possible future use. And if you don't end up using them, they'll be worth more rebuilt.

Being in college makes it a little difficult to rebuild them since I am away from home and do not have time to learn what is nessecary to rebuild them. The car may or may not stick around for a while, I already have a toy, so it will more than likely be my daily driver. Thanks for the input, I was leaning towards hanging on to it and now that I see thats how other enthusists would treat the situation I feel more confident about it and less like it would be a complete waste of space.