Driver Information Center

Captain Ficho

So as most of you know I'm a student by day and International Series hoarder by night and I was wondering if I could transfer the Driver Information Center in my 90 International into my 92 International. My 92 is my daily driver and just has a cubby hole below the ash tray where as the 90 has the DIC that fits in the exact same location. It makes me happy because it tells me "Good Morning" when I start the car and I want it in my daily driver now. So could I get it to work in my 92?

So as most of you know I'm a student by day and International Series hoarder by night and I was wondering if I could transfer the Driver Information Center in my 90 International into my 92 International. My 92 is my daily driver and just has a cubby hole below the ash tray where as the 90 has the DIC that fits in the exact same location. It makes me happy because it tells me "Good Morning" when I start the car and I want it in my daily driver now. So could I get it to work in my 92?

Holy Shit it tells you good morning? Gotta get one for the vert! Immediately!

It'll work fine, but don't count on the plug being there.. If you have electronic climate controls, then supposedly it *SHOULD* be there, but otherwise you're going to have to wire it in. I don't think there's a seperate harness that you can just unplug completely from the dash, I'm pretty sure factory gets spliced all over the place (meaning you wouldn't just be able to plug and play the wiring from the '90).

It'll work fine, but don't count on the plug being there.. If you have electronic climate controls, then supposedly it *SHOULD* be there, but otherwise you're going to have to wire it in. I don't think there's a seperate harness that you can just unplug completely from the dash, I'm pretty sure factory gets spliced all over the place (meaning you wouldn't just be able to plug and play the wiring from the '90).

Very possible that VERY EARLY 1992 cars got the wiring but don't quote me on that. My 1992 with ECC did not.

That too, they didn't even offer the DIC after '91 so your '92 I'm pretty sure won't have the wiring. My '92 didn't either, but it was pretty base when I got it.

I might have to try to find a 1992 with a functional (numbered) OIL PRESSURE GAUGE and ECC and look for DIC wiring.

I've seen those. I'll start checking.

BTW... my 91 vert was not wired for the DIC... have you ever heard of a vert with the DIC?

What do you mean 'a numbered oil pressure guage'? Aren't they all just high\low? you mean a digital or an analog?

early 1992 cars had pressure readings on the analog cluster... and this is in both LQ1 and 3.1 MPFI cars.

I need to document more which cars I have seen them in... but I did see two 92 3.1 verts with the numbered cluster. IIRC they were built 10/91. I have the vins somewhere..

I might have to try to find a 1992 with a functional (numbered) OIL PRESSURE GAUGE and ECC and look for DIC wiring.

I've seen those. I'll start checking.

BTW... my 91 vert was not wired for the DIC... have you ever heard of a vert with the DIC?

I have one documented with DIC.

What do you mean 'a numbered oil pressure guage'? Aren't they all just high\low? you mean a digital or an analog?

early 1992 cars had pressure readings on the analog cluster... and this is in both LQ1 and 3.1 MPFI cars.

And as far as I know, all 1992 3.4 cars have it. I've yet to see a 1992 3.4 car without it. :cool:

I need to document more which cars I have seen them in... but I did see two 92 3.1 verts with the numbered cluster. IIRC they were built 10/91. I have the vins somewhere..

Send me what you have so I can get all this together.

And as far as I know, all 1992 3.4 cars have it. I've yet to see a 1992 3.4 car without it. :cool:

Did you mean all 92 3.4's have the numbered gauge or all 92's have the DIC connector? I haven't looked for the connector (yet but very soon!) but my 92 3.4 5-spd definitely has the H-L gauge. I'll send you the VIN if you want it. I also just bought a $100 92 coupe parts car, haven't seen the gauge set yet, will let you know what it's got in about a week.

Well, apparently not all 1992 3.4s have a numbered gauge then. I do think they were put in the 3.4 cars later than 25,000 because I have 3 or 4 3.4 cars documented that have later VINs (they might be Internationals, I'll have to look.)

Pics and VINs would be awesome!

hmm. well I just priced a power supply for the lappy. $100?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

crap. But I do intended to share what I have documented... and lost access to for the fourth time :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

btw... I do agree that a seemingly larger portion of 3.4 cars had the numbered guage. They must have run with the numbered clusters until they ran out... meaning much later in the run for the lesser seen LQ1 cluster!

Please do, because I do want to get all this together. I hope to have every 1988-1997 Cutlass Supreme VIN documented one day for no apparent reason. :lol: