Question about grand prix GTP

JAG_36

My friend's mom picked up a 95 or 96 grand prix GTP special edition about 7 months ago. Im not sure of the year because i didnt look close enough, but i know it was one of those two years. Anyways, it is all black, but the rims are 5 spokes and they are gold. The grill is also the same gold, and i at first figured that it they may have been painted, but the next time i seen it, I noticed the car was a GTP special edition and the GTP badge on the back and the special edition decal on the door were also gold. I did a little research to see if i could find any similar options on the grand prix, but i havent come up with any answers. Was this an option you could get on the grand prix, and was it rare? I dont know a lot about the color options they came in when they produced, but i know it doesnt look like a paint job and its prolly the sharpest looking grand prix i've seen. Does anyone have an answer on this?

U sure its not a 97? The 97 GTP's were available with a "gold package", which included gold striping, gold wheels, etc...

Its really hard to confuse a first gen with a second gen... The guy is new and all, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt.

FWIW, I have seen a 94-96 GTP in the same trim package, all gold badging and rims. Never noticed the grill, just saw the car in passing. (hence not knowing what year it was exactly, I want to lean towards 96 due to the 5 spoke wheels rather than x-laces) And yes... I can tell the difference between a 1st and 2nd gen :lol:

Jamie

There are first gen's with gold badges, etc. like the original poster mentioned. I've never seen one with gold wheels or grills though, someone likely did that themselves or it was a dealer package. The ones I've seen only had gold badges and maybe some other small accents. I'll dig through my old pictures later and see what I can come up with....

I've seen several black 94-6's with the "gold package"... usually that involved a tan interior, gold pinstripes, and some fancy gold decals, and thats it. The wheels/grille sound suspiciously home-made as I don't think anyone on this board has seen or heard of such a thing from the factory/dealer.