After 4 years my AC lives

Hairdo12

They all said it couldn't be done and that it would cost over $750 to repair. My AC condenser blew out sometime between Fall 03 and spring 04 and I just let the AC sit dead for all this time. Well one day I was sitting in traffic and I though "damn its hot". So I got some quotes and thought the hell with that I'll do it myself. Found a condeser for cheap and replaced the accumulator and orifice tube (I had one shop quote me $200 just to replace to orifice tube... it takes about 30 seconds to replace, F them). Took about 5 hours to do the job right by removing the entire AC (minus the evaporator) and drained all the old oil and prime the compresser with Ester oil. After I got everything back together and filled it up with 134a, I felt like the king of the world when that compresser clutch kicked in and the AC started to blow not just cool but cold. No noise from the compresser either. I checked the pressure today and it still holding at 42psi on the low side so all is grand.

So for those who say that your AC being dead for 4 years its impossible to bring back - ha.

Pictures are always fun:

I got a little worried of the quality of this can of 134a... At least I don't have to worry about my "Nosy" compresser (note spelling error)

SANY0640.jpg

SANY0635.jpg

SANY0637.jpg

SANY0638.jpg

SANY0639.jpg

SANY0634.jpg

Nice dude! Unfortunately your going to use it for not even a month now before it starts getting cold lol.

lol, quite true. Mine on the regal went out recently, but I just gave up because I only need it for 1-2 months of the year here in Chicago. As long as its not over 85, I'm fine.

I got a little worried of the quality of this can of 134a... At least I don't have to worry about my "Nosy" compresser (note spelling error)

SANY0640.jpg

GAH! I hate nosy compressors! :lol:

SANY0640.jpg

GAH! I hate nosy compressors! :lol:

Always all up in your business!

I just had my A/C fixed at the same time as my alternater (back in May... to the tune of $750, most of it for the alternater replacement.). Took it to a shop for it since I don't have the patience for the alternater. Damn the location of it... anywho, I had it fixed just in time for summer! :mrgreen: