Fuses blowing everwhere!!!!

Drummer

Ok I have a hunch that my amp could be bad (18 years old). Yesterday i came home and i noticed my subs weren't on so i checked the engine bay and my 30Amp fuse is blown, so i put another one in and it almost immediately blew again, so i put in another one and nothing happened, so then i went to the trunk and checked the amp and both of the fuses were blown in the amp. So i disconnected everything and started hooking up the capacitor, and so far so good, as soon as i hooked the amp up the engine bay fuse blew, so i stuck in a 60 amp fuse, then just my amp fuses were blowing, and my amp wasn't turning on. If you have any ideas or questions please chime in. Thanks.

wow, I must say I am impressed that you have a working 18 year old amp. I also wana know what brand... :P

Now are these fuses you are replacing blowing when you put them in with the system on or off? If they are blowing with the system off most likely you have a short somewhere from a nicked wire or something along those lines. If you have a multimeter test for shorts or grounds and simple stuff like that, other than that, maybe the amp finally shit the bed.

wow, I must say I am impressed that you have a working 18 year old amp. I also wana know what brand... :P

Now are these fuses you are replacing blowing when you put them in with the system on or off? If they are blowing with the system off most likely you have a short somewhere from a nicked wire or something along those lines. If you have a multimeter test for shorts or grounds and simple stuff like that, other than that, maybe the amp finally shit the bed.

It only blows when i have the system on. It's a pyramid gold series PB-609 4 channel 150W amp

wow pyramid.. I used to have one of them a long time ago, it was a halfway decent amp actually

it definately sounds like the amp though I would just get another one, you can probably get another 4 channel amps for like $100 or so.

Just do not, and i repeat DO NOT!! get a pyramid amp, they are pretty much the worst of the worst in car audio. The one you have is from way back when they were pretty decent. My buddy bought a Pyramid "1000" watt amp a few years ago. It had ONE 20 amp fuse :lol:

Pyramid was never good. Solid state electronics should last longer than 18-years if not abused.

Anyway, the amp is fried. It probably has some shorted MOSFETs or output transistors. If you know how to solder, it can probably be fixed, but I don't know too many people who have gone to the trouble.