94(134a) AC accumulator in a 92

Hairdo12

I am fixing my blown condensor and I am retrofitting my ac to 134a. I have taken the entire AC (minus the evaporator) out of the car and have flushed all the hoses/pipes, primed the compressor with PAE oil, replaced the expansion valve and o-rings. I've done some reading about the accumulator and it looks like I would get better results if I ran an accumulator designed for 134a given the pellets inside are designed for 134a systems (I forget what its call HX something. Lumina's were 134a starting in 1994 and the accumulator will hook right up with no problem. Any one see any problems with this?

I have a question, slightly off topic, but how do you know which refrigerant your car uses? Which years used what?

88-93 used R-12

94+ use R-134A

There should be no problem using the 94 rec/dryer. Almost any replacement part, if you were to buy new/rebuild today, will have the updated dryer material that is compatable with BOTH oil types (its not the refrigerant that makes the difference, its the oil and the ability to draw the moisture out that made the change in dessicant inside the receiver necessary.)

Make certain you use the right orifice tube for the 134a. If they make a variable orifice tube for the w-body's, I have used those in other applications with better cooling at idle.