Sunroof info? (89 GP SE)

AxlCrucifix

Hey guys, I'm having some problems with my sunroof in my 89 Grand Prix SE.

It will vent open in the back no problem, but even with a good lubrication, has difficulty opening up and closing. (When actually opening the sunroof, not just venting it)

I'm wondering what kind of drive mechanism it has, as my Haynes manual mentions nothing of it, and perhaps some suggestions as to how to make it work properly again :(

Thanks!

Removing the headliner or the motor? I've never taken the motor out, but it's right there when you remove the headliner, so it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes. The headliner is a sinch to remove.

• 2 weeks later...

If you were askin how much difficulty the sunroof has, it gets so difficult that it wont move much lol.

I have never removed my headlinder before, could you please give me some idea as to how to go about it? lol thanks :biggrin:

You need to pull off your pillars plastic first. Than you just pull the clips off that hold the headliner on. It's easy, just try not to break the clips. Go test it in a junkyard if your really worried.

The motors in these don't fail often as it is protected by a capacitor that opens the circuit at the end of the sunroof full open and full closed stroke or when the motor *sees* a heavy load on it, as well as a relay in the assembly. What more than likely has happened is the drive cables are seizing and do not want to spin in their housings. (these move the track assembly on each side back & forth) To get them out to lube is a bit of a chore as they are positioned on the top side of the main assembly and that requires pulling down the complete sunroof assembly away from the roof. Removing the roof panel itself is a bit of a core as well seeing as the panel is the entire size of the cabin and to get it out you have to work it out thru the doors, and thats easier when there are no seats in the car. (been there, done that). Sunroof002Large.jpg Sunroof001Large.jpg