valences...(89-93)

Dark Ride

If you are reading this thread chances are you need a lower valence, and you know they are impossible to find. Why GM would discontinue these knowing how often they break and how many cars it affects, but they did. So I was thinking that considering how many of us there are that need them, maybe we could get someone to make them for us. Its a long shot, I know, and I dont know what it would cost to do it, but its worth a shot. If someone who works in manufacturing or knows a little more about what it would take to make these that would be great. How many people are interested?

Why GM would discontinue these knowing how often they break and how many cars it affects, but they did.

It's not an issue of how many cars need them, or how often they break. The problem is very, very few of the people who own these cars are willing to shell out $250+ to buy a replacement, considering the majority don't care about their car. It's just what they're "stuck with" at the moment. Therefore, it doesn't make logical sense to continue spending money to produce a part that most likely wasn't selling too well for them over all.

As to reproducing these, I've been thinking about looking into that myself (along with the LeSabre T-Type front vair damn, and the '00-'02 GP roof rails) since I have a practically mint condition valance I found in the yard last summer. The problem is again going to be how many people are willing to shell out the money for them? I'm sure whoever is willing to produce these is going to want some kind of minimum order to even bother, and I highly doubt they'll be under $200.

Why GM would discontinue these knowing how often they break and how many cars it affects, but they did.

It's not an issue of how many cars need them, or how often they break. The problem is very, very few of the people who own these cars are willing to shell out $250+ to buy a replacement, considering the majority don't care about their car. It's just what they're "stuck with" at the moment. Therefore, it doesn't make logical sense to continue spending money to produce a part that most likely wasn't selling too well for them over all.

As to reproducing these, I've been thinking about looking into that myself (along with the LeSabre T-Type front vair damn, and the '00-'02 GP roof rails) since I have a practically mint condition valance I found in the yard last summer. The problem is again going to be how many people are willing to shell out the money for them? I'm sure whoever is willing to produce these is going to want some kind of minimum order to even bother, and I highly doubt they'll be under $200.

You make a good point, so I guess the question that really matters is how many people on here other than myself would be willing to pay $200-300 for a one-time group buy?

If your wanting one, your best bet is to contact some aftermarket company that makes bumpers, skirts, etc.... They usually need a minimum order of 10-15 that are definately commited. Afterwards, they will make it, sell them off, and then continue to sell them for several years, or until there is no longer an interest.

If this flies, count me in. The best thing to do would be to find a valance and make a copy. There's a car around me for sale, the valance is cracked, but it could be fixed and used a guide.

Would you have to buy rights from GM to legally make "copies" of the valance.

I got lucky and bought one of the last available NOS valances from GM. If you were to use an orignal valance to make a master mold, I would try and find a NOS 91-93 one piece version.

Would you have to buy rights from GM to legally make "copies" of the valance.

Not if you change 1 single thing about it.

Really, people do it all the time. There are tons of reproduction factory body parts. Just need to have a minimum of 10 people, plus a person willing to let a company borrow the valence for whatever time is required.

Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for. A cheap valence my require a bit of work to get it to fit right, whereas something a bit more expensive may just need to be painted and put into place.

Whenever this is done, the contact should also talk to the company about selling stock-like bolts, clips, fasteners, etc.... so that the valence would fit in like stock.

I'd also suggest that whoever makes the valence suggest that they make the bottom and the sides (where it bolts up) a bit thicker, maybe reinforced. I know thats what kept failing on my Z34 atleast.

My lower valence is pretty beat up (but still alive), but there is no way I'd shell out $200-300 for one (which is consistent with the general mindset, I guess...), yeah, it would be nice to replace it... but is it really worth it?

there is a junkyard in toledo ohio that has 2 gtps with the front valences still in great shape for 40 bucks a piece... maybe someone could pick them up and use them... i think honestly we could avoid the 300 dollar group buy by everyone contributing when they go junkyarding

• 3 weeks later...

there is a junkyard in toledo ohio that has 2 gtps with the front valences still in great shape for 40 bucks a piece... maybe someone could pick them up and use them... i think honestly we could avoid the 300 dollar group buy by everyone contributing when they go junkyarding

who is close to this? It doesn't look like a group buy is going to get as much interest as I thought it would

My lower valence is pretty beat up (but still alive), but there is no way I'd shell out $200-300 for one (which is consistent with the general mindset, I guess...), yeah, it would be nice to replace it... but is it really worth it?

Of course it's worth it, without the valance the transmission will blow up.

How many orders did you think you would of needed? Like I said, I am down for 1.

I would need 10-15 like very committed people to make this happen and right now we have 3-5.

Of course it's worth it, without the valance the transmission will blow up.

Oh god...

I would definetly like one, but that definet turns into a maybe depending on price...

well i have to agree with raregmfan that these probably won't run under $300 by the time they are shipped, maybe more I don't know, I don't even have a valence to use as a mold, thats why I'm hoping someone could grab the above mentioned valence for me. I'm willing to do this, but I'm can't foot the bill to make these entirely myself.

I would definetly like one, but that definet turns into a maybe depending on price...

well i have to agree with raregmfan that these probably won't run under $300 by the time they are shipped, maybe more I don't know, I don't even have a valence to use as a mold, thats why I'm hoping someone could grab the above mentioned valence for me.

I sat down and thought about this last night and today, I figured that if they are any more than $350 shipped then it isn't worth it.

I'm willing to do this, but I'm can't foot the bill to make these entirely myself.

I should clarify, I just don't want to get these made and everybody back out on me, and I get stuck with ten valences (even though I would probably be able to sell them eventually.

• 4 months later...

As the title says, say I was able to get hold of a spare valence, and was able to find someone to reproduce them, how much would you pay?

Keep in mind, most aftermarket stuff is not a perfect fit, so modification may be required (elongating or drilling holes for the clips in our case).

Just trying to gather whether people on here would be willing to pay for one or not.

I would imagine shipping, from a company that ships quite frequently, would be in the $30-$50 range for US/CAD.

I'm not looking to make a single dime off of this, however, I have a pretty good idea what they would charge for this piece, since this is all that they would be making and that there is not a crazy market for it.

So yeah, post up what you would be willing to pay, and I'll just gather some information on my own.

Thanks.

I'd pay atleast 50 bucks. I'm already seeing a few around town that might go missing over night. I'd pay more if it was a complete replica and would fit perfect.

Also, I thought we already had a thread about this a few months back?

I did end up buying the used one off that Newbie member a while back, took him crazy long to ship it, but he did finally pull through and its in good shape. I could use that as a mold, it just seemed like there isn't a market for them, no one is actually willing or able to pay what it would cost to make them.