Question about DIC???

92turboLE

Ok, so i have a DIC out of a 90 CS. What does the other part of the harness plug into??? is it something i can pull the car apart and get the full harness and sensors and make it work on my car??? if not, i may have a DIC for sale shortly

- Justin

What do you mean by "other part"? Are you wanting to plug this into a Grand Prix DIC connector? If so, I don't know that the pinouts are the same. I'd have to check, but I really don't think they're the same because the GP DICs are made by Nippon Denso while the CS DIC is made by Delco.

no, i mean that my car is not wired at all for one, and by other part, i mean the wiring harness in the car. where does all that go to... ecm??? other sensors???

can i pull the full harnes sout of the other car and get it to work in my car that IS NOT wired for it??

- Justin

Oh, well you can get it to work, no sensors necessary, but you'll have to splice into many wires. It gets all its data from the ALDL serial data wire.

I don't think you can use the Cutlass dash harness complete because the headlights, wipers, and other things all have different connectors.

Lotta wire stripping, splicing, soldering, taping, heat shrinking, etc.

so i can actually get it to work??? SWEET, imma do it... splicing aint a problem, the wiring is butchered enough in my car... it'll give me a chance to clean it all up a little in the process.... awesome

so, as im taking it from the cutlass, should i just mark where everything connected too and i shouldnt have a problem???

- Justin

Well, all the wires are in a different place, but all the wiring you need goes to the cluster.

Yeah, it should work. You can test it real easy. I don't have the pinouts with me at work, but give it some power so that it lights up, and connect its serial data wire to the orange wire in your ALDL connector. That will test to see if it can read the coolant temp, volts, tach, etc. off the data stream. Chances are, it will read all of it just fine.

honestly i would prefer the GP DIC cuz it fits the styling of the interior a little better, but im not sure where imma put it....i have an overhead sunglass holder/maplight thing, and what i was thinking was since im for the most part good at magiver type shit, dismantle the DIC and find a way to put the display in the sunglassholder thing, then the switches will be fabbed into the center console somehow... im not positive yet.

i would have to find some tinted plastic that i could make a face for the DIC display in the holder though...

and to clear up any confusion, i have the Cutlass DIC, and the sunglass thing i mentioned is i guess out of a Cutlass as well, but it goes between the sunvisors on the ceiling.

so what do ya think of the idea

- Justin

I think that would be a difficult thing to do... splitting up the buttons and display.

That's because the button switches are on the same circuit board as the display. The display is soldered to the circuit board and is about... maybe 80-pins? That's a lot of desoldering and a whole lot of wire too. You'd probably need to use some kind of ribbon cable.

The button driver circuitry is underneath the display, so it would be even more difficult to cut the circuit board in half and jumper them together with wires.

Anything is possible though.

If you would rather have a GP DIC, I would just look for one of those and sell the Cutlass DIC. Much easier to install, and someone on Ebay managed to sell a Cutlass DIC for something like $44!!!!

I'm not sure about the size of the cutlass DIC but maybe if you got an aftermarket radio you could somehow squezze the DIC in the bottom portion of the stock radio location.

If you would rather have a GP DIC, I would just look for one of those and sell the Cutlass DIC. Much easier to install, and someone on Ebay managed to sell a Cutlass DIC for something like $44!!!!

I think i saw it at $54 right b4 it closed.... hmmmm, havent pulled it apart yet so i did not know that, hmmm, i'll have to come up with plan B

DAMNIT!!!!

thanks anyway though - i'll keep ya posted on the progress of the project.

- Justin