How do you wire in a caddy mirror into 94 gp?

pontiacmaniac94

okay, so i got one of those cool rearview mirrors outta a 97 deville that has the compass and auto tilt and all, but i dont know how to wire it in? the colors are:

BLACK

PINK/BLACK

YELLOW

GREEN

GREYISH WHITE

what all would i need to do to make it work, and where?

thanks!

if i need to add pictures because i dont have a good enough description, than say so.

The black would be your ground, and the pink/black should be your positive. The green is hooked into your reverse light circuit to prevent the mirror from dimming when the car is in reverse(this is not necessary, just cap it off) and the other 2 are most likely for dimming the side mirrors (not possible on a 1st gen W, so cap them off.)

I've put one of these in every vehicle of mine that didnt come with one, and basically all you need to do is tie the positive line into a source that is only active with the ignition on Run. ( I believe I tied mine into the ECM circuit) and then just run the other one to a ground

Yes, he is correct, except, if not using the reverse function, the green wire needs to be GROUNDED!!

I just installed one from a 98 Olds LSS I got free.

And its not autotilt. They are actually photochromatic. It doesnt til whatsoever.

The compass will need to be calibrated though, I still need to do mine but havent been around a decent size parking lot.

-Turn car on.

-Use like a paperclip to press in on the reset button on the bottom of the mirror

-Hold it until the number 9 is displayed. May have to press it a few times to get it to 9

-Drive around in about 3 big circles until C is displayed showin it is calibrated

-Black ---- Ground

-Green --- Ground (or reverse wire on trans gear position switch)

-Pink/Blk --- Hot in Run

-

Yellow and Gray is dimming signal to photochromatic driver side mirror. Not needed, I removed the wires from the pigtail.

greetings...Loud

the 98 LSS mirror

is it compass and temp?

does it have map lights?

what color is the display? Aqua I hope

Compass

No

Aqua

I have cut off the green wire from both of my Gentex mirrors, One being the older style from an olds 88, and a newer style one with the pushbuttons out of a 99 aurora. They both dim properly without the wire. You should not have to ground that wire for it do dim properly. When i would ground out the green wire, it would prevent the mirror from dimming, thus the reason why I left it disconnected.

compass_variance.gif

Also, here is the map depicting the correct variance setting for the compass, depending on where you live.

ditto on the green wire. I've only had the older style however (early 90's)

Mine is connected to ground and works.. Its from a 98 LSS like I said... I cant remember if its a Gentex or Donelley though