How many miles are on your W-body?

sonyman87

If you have a high milage 3.4DOHC please post your milage. If yours has already blown up, post any warning signs.

I know the 3.4 is known for its performance but how long can this moter keep it up?

I drive a 3.4L DOHC 1995 Lumina with 150,xxx miles.

Just started: (sometimes)when i hit +6k it sounds like the valves are floating. any remodies?

i dont have the DOHC, but my 3.1 Vin T has 224,562 miles as of this morning at fillup, with no motor rebuilds or major work with the exception of the tranny, which is irrelevant due to its unrelation to the motor directly, but yeah, if properly maintained, your motor should go to 200K+ easy.

I mean, i drive mine foot to the floor everywhere, but i keep up on oil changes and regular mainenance and i have no problems. Hell, i even hooked up a scan tool to mine and a bunch of my buddies were sayin it was the healthiest motor they have seen, even with 85 octain, no knock at all - granted im not turbo so it dont matter, but still.

Although one suggestion with these motors that i have realized: if something breaks, even if the car still runs and drives fine, FIX IT! that broken peice will somehow lead to something else breaking and it just gets more expensive.

that and one other thing to look at... and this applies with almost any GM car, when properly maintained, the motor will run forever, just everything attatched to the motor will break.

- Justin

I know its in my sig line, but my GTP has a whole 38 thousand. Pretty sad when my 00 GA GT has almost 60 thou. :roll: When I was 16 or 17, I remember driving my parents old wagon. It was a 88 Celebrity Eurosport w/ a 2.8L and it had like 325k til I wrecked it. Ran like a top to, no rebuilds on the engine or the tranny. That wagon even sounded like a Beretta GTU going down the road to! :shock:

Aaron

I had a 3.4 that took a crap at 76,500 miles.

don't say that....my 3.4 will be at 70k in 2 weeks.

wow....I've put about 6,000 miles on this puppy in a little over a month....I'm an evil man when it comes to cars.

I had a 3.4 that took a crap at 76,500 miles.

don't say that....my 3.4 will be at 70k in 2 weeks.

wow....I've put about 6,000 miles on this puppy in a little over a month....I'm an evil man when it comes to cars.

Eh.. well.. I was a little mean to this engine. Heh.. in the winter, when it gets to like 10 below, I don't think I ever let it warm up for more than 5 seconds before I tromped 'er down and took off.. I believe that lead to the demise of my Cutlass Supreme.

I couldn't agree with you more. How long your engine lasts depends on your maintenance. Just remember that the 3.4L Twin Cam engine is a high maintenance engine, while the other engines such as the 3800 TPI and the 3.1 MPFI require less maintenance. 224,000 miles is outstanding. I hope to get the same out of my engine. I probably will, but I don't think the tires/shocks/bodywork/paint will last that long.

i dont have the DOHC, but my 3.1 Vin T has 224,562 miles as of this morning at fillup, with no motor rebuilds or major work with the exception of the tranny, which is irrelevant due to its unrelation to the motor directly, but yeah, if properly maintained, your motor should go to 200K+ easy.

I mean, i drive mine foot to the floor everywhere, but i keep up on oil changes and regular mainenance and i have no problems. Hell, i even hooked up a scan tool to mine and a bunch of my buddies were sayin it was the healthiest motor they have seen, even with 85 octain, no knock at all - granted im not turbo so it dont matter, but still.

Although one suggestion with these motors that i have realized: if something breaks, even if the car still runs and drives fine, FIX IT! that broken peice will somehow lead to something else breaking and it just gets more expensive.

that and one other thing to look at... and this applies with almost any GM car, when properly maintained, the motor will run forever, just everything attatched to the motor will break.

- Justin

I don't want to get into this debate, but I think they canned Oldsmobile because they're a bunch of idiots. Olds had some really cool designs and very unique vehicles. Perhaps they didn't sell as much as they should have, but they were still great cars.

I'd just like to say that I enjoy hearing all these stories of high mileage......

dear lord I love Oldsmobile.....why must they leave?

89 Cutlass: 210,5xx miles.

94 Cutlass: 284,913 (this morning) almost everything is original (9mm magnecor wires), K&N drop-in, consistant oil changes and nothing but 89 octane gas.

My 93 Ragtop: 99,500 miles. Blew timing belt @ 74K. Replaced intake gaskets shortly thereafter.

Wifes's 92 Euro Sedan 3.4: 103K, fixed oil plug leak and intake gaskets around 100K. Did the cheap fix with chevy distributor gasket and hi temp gasket sealer. No leaks at all now. Haven't blown the belt on that one yet.

Both run like a champ, we have half assed raced each other on US 422 out here and her's is a shade faster. But mine is nicer and has a better ride. I don't push the ragtop too hard, I want it to last.

Previous car was a 92 Z24 ragtop that when I sold it had 185K on the 3.1, still ran like a top.

I am meticulous with oil changes and routine maintenance. Plus since I work in research for an additive manufacturer, I run experimental stuff with high lubricity friction modifiers in my engines. I had the Z getting 28 mpg down to FL with one of them. Best I can do with these 3.4s is about 23-25 mpg apiece. Love those Delco Rapidfire plugs, too.

car has 136k, engine has 116k.

94 lumina w/ 3.4/4t60e from a 91 cutlass

did the swap @ 128k on the car and 3.1, and 108k on the 3.4 donor car. no known history other than there was a receipt for timing belt @ 90k under the seat of the donor car, and that i take meticulous care of it. i did some preventative maintenance before putting it in, like a new starter, alternator(which went anyway after a year), melling HV oil pump(m187s i believe), new pan gasket, new intake gaskets, siliconed the o-ring, new cam cover gaskets. do not know the history of the transmission but it is in excellent condition and with 8k miles on the fluid it still looks/smells good, and this engine runs exteremely clean oil wise, 800 miles after i changed it i just did it again and it was damn near new looking.

just re-assembled the lower portion of the engine due to my driveway getting flooded a few weeks ago, faulty pan gasket let water in the pan. have yet to start it back up but should be just fine.

W-Bodies:

'90 Turbo Grand Prix, 113,000 miles.

'02 Grand Prix GTP, 20,000 miles.

H-Bodies:

'93 Olds Eighty Eight, 115,000 miles.

'00 Bonneville SSEi, 80,500 miles.

Beretta (don't know what body, and too lazy to take 30 seconds and look it up):

'95 Z26, 86,000 miles.

All have original engine & tranny, never been rebuilt, and get oil changes every 5,000 miles. (Except the GTP, it gets them every 2,500 or so) They all run very good, and they all still have very good looking paint.