Floor Shifter

bluegp

Has anyone heard of anybody using an aftermarket floor shifter on the 440-T4/4T60, like one that was made for a 700-R4 or 200-4R? I haven't taken my shifter out to look at it, but I think the spacing (that the shifter moves) between gears on a FWD car is different than on a RWD car. If that's the case, I'm thinking that a new detent plate for an aftermarket shifter could be made and it would work. Does this sound right? I'm not sure about the cable either; I guess compare them to see. It sure would be cool to have a ratchet shifter.

As for factory shifters, are any better than others, or are they all about the same? Mine is just a little tired and I was thinking of replacing it with something a little more hi-performance.

• 2 weeks later...
How are you gonna get performance out of an auto tranny shifter?

Just wondering.

You do not gain performance as in the car being quicker. The point of using an aftermarket "performance" shifter is that it works better than the factory one and may have features that the factory one does not have.

The few that I've drove had a more solid or positive feel (like the mechanism was better quality). Right now, the detents in my GP's stock one are a little sloppy feeling. In between 1st & 2nd, it doesn't even "click". It's an annoyance.

Having a ratchet shifter is really cool. Start out in 1st, tach it out, slam the shifter forward once - you're now in 2nd, tach it out again, slam the shifter - you're in 3rd......you get the point. To shift between gears, you no longer need to depress the button and move the shifter just the right amount.

When I was in High School, standard hot rod cruising equipment was: a ratchet shifter, glass packs, chrome air cleaner lid, jacked-up rear end (not that I ever really thought that looked good), chrome rear end cover, Cragar SS mags & white letter tires, a mullet, and loud music (with no bass) such as AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Kiss. (I guess that kinda dates me) -- the point is that I still like that stuff & would like to integrate a little of that into my GP. (don't worry, not the Cragars or the jacking-up; maybe the music though)

what about the mullet?

A guy at work teases me that I have one, but I don't - it's just not all the way shaved down back there. Back in the day, the only guys that didn't have them were the preppy jocks that were wearing pink Izod shirts with the collar flipped up. (funny how they got the hot chicks) I would still like to have my old style back (was more of a "big hair" look), but then I'd only be able to work at the record mart & my wife would leave. Oh well...

bout a week ago I saw a 4-5 year old kid with his parents at my job, the kid had an all-out blonde mullet with spikes for bangs. Needless to say I was taken back about 20 years :shock:

* A mullet is a hairstyle which is popularly described as "Short on top, Long in the back". See diagram below:

diagram.jpg

* Common names for the mullet include (but are not limited to) : The Ape Drape. The Tennessee Waterfall. The 10/90 (the proportion of hair in front to hair in back). The Mud Flap. 7 (shape of the #) The Long Island Ice Teased. Business on Top-Party Out Back. Achy-Breaky-Big Mistakey. Yep-Nope. As well as:

- The Tennesse Tophat

- Mississippi Mudflap

- Camaro Cut

- Kentucky Waterfall

- A lil front porch, alot back deck

* The term Mullet(hair context obviously) traces back to the 1967 prison film Cool Hand Luke, starring Paul Newman and George Kennedy, in which Kennedy's character refers to Southern men with long hair as "Mullet Heads."

* Mullestache: A molester style mustache worn by MOST mullets. (And cops)

* Mullderline: (Advanced term) That in-between stage in the development of the mullet. Here is a good example ->

http://www.mulletjunky.com/mullderline.htm

* Mullshit: (Advanced term) When it's clearly NOT a mullet. Example: Yer hangin' out at Del Taco and and yer friend says, "Look at that mull" and it's obviously not a mullet. You can now respond, "That's Mullshit".uff

* When there is a mullet title with a "ullet" attached to the end, pronounce it "YOU LETT". For example, "Flattopullet" would be pronounced as flat top you let. (As in life, there are exceptions to the rule. Figure them out.)

BTW I found these pictures of Brian P. workin on a mysterious F-Body:

mullchanic.jpg

mullchanic2.jpg

:roll: