Polished Cutlass 5-spokes

GPX

Everybody's refinishing/polishing their x-laces these days. I'm wondering if anyone has stripped and polished some Olds wheels. I know they're plain, but I think they look great on the car and I've seen few aftermarket wheels that I think look as good (notice there that I said "I think"). I kind of like the "dull" coated finish, but I'm very curious what they would look like polished. Anyone got a picture they could post? Thanks.

Now that I have my x-laces all cleaned up and on the car, I have starterd on polishing my 5-spokes.

I will post after I get them done...you're gonna love 'em!

Leon

Now that I have my x-laces all cleaned up and on the car, I have starterd on polishing my 5-spokes.

I will post after I get them done...you're gonna love 'em!

Leon

So . . . . when you're done with the polishing on the 5-spokes, can I please have your X-laces, I will even trade a set of X-laces and $$$.

I think it would look alright, Id say go for it.

I also "think" it would look alright, but I want to see it before I invest that kind of time.

Tried to post a side shot but it keeps telling me it's too large of a photo.

Photo Bucket will also help you resize that if that's where you're keeping your pix online.

What I will do (when i get around to this project--not even near the top of the list) is strip and polish the wheels, then use the POR-15 stuff that's especially for polished aluminum. This is cheaper than the chroming deal and I like the warm shine of polished aluminum over the hard shine of chrome.

Very good question Adam. I'm thinking it was a dealer option as I've seen Series I ("stripped" base model, after the S was dropped) cars with chrome 5 spokes.

I've yet to see a dealer order sheet (yet. I have won a 1994 dealer advanced sales album and press release on ebay) so I can't say for certain.

5 spokes are a pretty hot commodity to owners with sawblades and aftermarket wheels that want to either return to stock or upgrade. If I came across a nice set of chrome 5 spokes, they would definitely end up on my car as a classy upgrade.

I was working for a GM dealer in the early nineties and I don't recall ever seeing chrome 5 spokes as an option and don't remember any dealer offering an option for this. I could be wrong though. Anyone I have ran across with chrome 5 spokes has had it done.

I bought my car in 05 with chrome 5 spokes. The papers that came with the car said that they were chromed for $225 a wheel in 97. The weird thing is they didn't polish the inside surface holes where the lug nuts are located. The chrome is there but there is a really rough surface with no shine. They also didn't match the center caps to the chrome. If you look close enough you can see the center caps still have the original grey color with the red olds logo in the center. I'll try to get pic of my rims when I get off work.