Regal temperature actuator broke again

TurboSedan

i bought some used replacements from Ed Morad for my Regal last year since one side was stuck on hot and neither side would really change temperature. took the old ones apart and sure enough they had broken gears inside.

well the passenger side is stuck on hot again :rolleyes: has anyone found a good replacement that will actually last? maybe one that has metal gears inside instead of plastic? should i just buy a new one from the GM dealership instead of used?

also, do the Regals with non-digital HVAC controls have these same temperature actuators? would it be really hard to swap the HVAC controls out? i would much rather turn a knob to adjust temperature/fan speed etc that to have to keep your finger pushed down on a button forever :rolleyes:

I was wondering about this myself. I have not looked at a drivers side one, but I wonder if the passenger ones are all identical. Also... if the units are right and left specific, can the gears be swapped?

I can say for sure that the pass side is EXPENSIVE, like $200+ expensive. I know Shaun's pass side one was stuck on cold all the time. and after finding out what the improved replacement ran, he snagged one outa a junkyard regal

1st GENs have the same actuators? that sucks they are so damn expensive :( i am going to look at a Regal/Century manual HVAC in the j/y and see if it would be possible without too much work. i doubt it's possible without changing a ton of other stuff, but i'm going to check into it before i get a replacement actuator. fwiw i know some '97+ Regal GS got manual HVAC.

for now, i'm just going to remove the passenger side actuator and manually turn it by hand so it doesn't blow hot air.