Moog spring helpers...buy one or two?

cpa5oh

I've got a saggy-assed 95 Buick Regal that chews up inside tires. I'm going to try the Moog K6000 spring helpers.

Only two places I know of that I can get them...both are online. The price is about $50...but does $50 buy one "set" (ie. one for each side) or does $50 buy one "piece" with two being necessary to complete the job?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Do you drive a lot of gravel? My parents' 92 Lumina sat low in the rear, I removed the back bumper, and took out over 100 lbs of dirt and gravel from the bumper itself. The rear rose 2". Worth a crawl underneath for a look anyways.

I'm going to try the Moog K6000 spring helpers.

Only two places I know of that I can get them...both are online.

and where does one accquire such a device??? i need some, i found some literature, but cant find anywhere to order them... also, brian, you said you used them, do they affect ride at all??? it would seem as though your ride quality would go to shit, am i wrong???

thanks

- Justin

ever ridden in a vette? you go down the road and you can feel every bump :D thats just the way they are designed, the ride is all bumpy and stuff because the suspention is so stiff. that way you can take corners at however fast you want to :twisted: so yeah, im guessing your ride quality would be sacrificed, but your handling would be alot better, but correct me if im wrong because im wrong about alot of stuff :yak:

yeah you need good rear struts otherwise the rear bounces 1 or 2 extra times when hitting a bump, but the helpers DO their job well, you could haul 3 people and a pallet of bricks in the back, and the rear will sag no more than 1/2 inch max

yeah you need good rear struts otherwise the rear bounces 1 or 2 extra times when hitting a bump, but the helpers DO their job well, you could haul 3 people and a pallet of bricks in the back, and the rear will sag no more than 1/2 inch max

:lol:

:shock:

I want some now.... I frequently haul fat people :lol:

I have a stupid question for you guys. How the hell do these leaf-spring helpers work? Are they those rubber blocks you put on your leaf-springs so that your vehicle will only go down to a certain level?

To answer the guy who asked "where do I get these," I just got off the phone a few hours ago with www.rockauto.com...$55 shipped. (I don't like passing credit card info over the net, so I called them at the number in the "contact info" screen.)

To answer the guy who asked how they work, since I don't have them yet, I'll give my gut feeling. This transverse leaf spring is going to "bend" during compression across the length of the spring. I think that these "helpers" are going to assist whatever portion of the spring that they touch from "bending" as much...increasing the spring rate. (Imagine taking a 12" pencil at each end and snapping it in half, contrasted with taking a 2" pencil at each end and snapping it in half...the shorter pencil will take more force to break.) My hope is that these "helpers" support the spring enough to make the ride height level out and my negative camber problem to go away. The LAST thing I want to do on this winter beater with 140K miles is replace a $600 spring.

As for the guy that asked how the ride quality is affected when using these "helpers," I highly doubt that there'll be a BIG change. If this were a racecar, sure, increasing the spring rate and the change in roll couple distributioin would make a huge difference at the limits of adhesion on a race track. But as for putsing around town, getting from point "A" to point "B," I don't think there's going to be much of a noticeable difference in handling or ride quality. To be sure, I have no experience with these YET...once installed in the car and driven on for a few days, I'll definitely post any impressions I have. Look for that in two weeks.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Dan

Oh, and one more question...is REAR camber adjustable on these W-body's? Doesn't look like there's much of a camber/caster plate at the top of the strut, but I haven't looked into it real closely. And while I'm asking, is REAR toe in/out adjustable? Doesn't seem to be...those four "bars" seem to set toe in and they are not adjustable from what I can tell.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the Moog leaf spring helpers installed today...

As I suspected, there isn't a BIG change in ride quality. As a matter of fact, if you are buying them because you have a problem with the ass end of you car sagging, you'll probably notice that the rear of the car feels more like it did when "new" after the install. I do feel more of the road, but it's not terribly bad.

Definite change for the better, as the car not only will quit eating up rear tires (this install completely took care of the sag without using any of the supplied shims,) but I think it feels considerably better.