Aftermarket handle junk.

GPX

I was so pleased with myself and so impressed with the transaction. I found a passenger side door handle assembly online for $29 with free shipping. I ordered it Monday nite this week and it arrived Wednesday! So far so good. Upon inspection of the item I noted that the casting was not up to OEM standards as far as the surface was concerned, but the mechanism felt smooth and solid so I was faily pleased as I had already decided I was going to refinish in the body color. I was surprised how little sanding was required to get the surface looking good, so once I had a few coats of paint on, let it dry overnite, and clean and transfer lock mechanism. [ADVICE: when cleaning lock mechanism be extrememly careful with the little "key door" assembly. It consists of a plate, a door. a spring, and an axle pin. It's all tiny pieces that came apart as I was gently using a toothbrush on it and I felt very lucky to not have lost any parts and to have gotten it back together in 20 minutes.]

This is where the bad part starts, and I'm sorry that I don't have pictures, but my camera is in Michigan with the family right now. I don't think I could have taken good pictures of this anyhow. I had 3 major fit issues with this assembly. 1) the lever/pivot assembly does not clear the weld flange on the door. I had to grind both my door and the lever to get them to fit with out rubbing and interferring with handle movement. I had to grind the arm that hangs down with the counterweight and the counterweight itself so it didn't interfere with the door and didn't clack at the end of its travel. After all that grinding the bottom will finally fit and the handle moves. 2) but the lower (in middle) stud is not quite where it should be so have to grind hole in door so assembly can move fully forward into position. Now I find that everything fit's 3) but the surface of the casting doesn't quite lay flat at the top toward the front of the car. It wouldn't be a problem except that the top stud is a little too short so the sheetmetal nut can't get a purchase on it to pull it down. Not quite sure what to do about that. So I saved how much money buying from AM AutoParts (AM stands for After Market)? I've got everything andstalled and working so I'm not interested in a refund, but I've got an email in to them just the same. I'll let you know what their reply, if any, is.

Aftermarket doorhandles for these vehicles has alwasy been an issue, with: Quality, Fitment, and especially Longevity.

If you can, try to find a non-broken one from the JY.

sounds to me like they sold you the wrong handle. the W coupes all use slightly different handle assemblies. some people do not know this and try to sell as a universal or are not correct on the models. What is it for?

sounds to me like they sold you the wrong handle. the W coupes all use slightly different handle assemblies.

On the box it came in it says it's for an 88-97 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2-Door. That's what I gots.

On the box it came in it says it's for an 88-97 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 2-Door. That's what I gots.

That's why it doesn't fit. Cutlass Supremes got different door handles than Lumina, GP, and Regal.

ERORR Does Not Compuut.

what????

ya, Actually I think grand prixs are different over the years too. I grabbed one off a 94 GTP for my 89, and it's like an eigth of an inch too tall it seems, it works.. for now, although I did have to disable my security lighting cuz that wasn't an option on the handle I grabbed.

But ya, it always blew my mind that they were different for all the cars... gotta love GM

That's why it doesn't fit. Cutlass Supremes got different door handles than Lumina, GP, and Regal.

ERORR Does Not Compuut.

what????

Thank you.

Bummer that you had problems with this, I've changed handles on several cars using aftermarket handles without incident, not sure what brand I used but I did get them offa Ebay. When you get your camera back I'd like to see how your handles look body-color. Also, how'd you do the olds logo in your avitar on the underside of your hood (or is that photoshop)? That looks cool.

One of the reasons I got out of the automotive design business is that I just couldn't handle the pace. You'd have the same drawing on your board for 2, 4, 6, 8, sometimes 10 months! But the fact is the shit has to be right or it just doesn't fit. On sheet metal and glass we were plus +/- .25mm. When I worked for Fisher Body we were in this huge room and the whole program was in there--most departments, all divisions! Electrical was somewhere else, but the fact is that if I was working on an A-pillar molding and something changed, the guys (or in a few cases, gals) who were working on the sheetmetal and glass and interior trim were all right there. I can only imagine how difficult it would be for some poor schmuck to be sitting in some aftermarket design room with about a tenth of the resources I had at my disposal to come up with a reasonable design. Nearly impossible. Then ship it overseas and have it produced by someone who doesn't speak english. It's a wonder any of this stuff works when you think about it.

I am thinking it would have been money well spent for the $30 or so more that OEM would have cost. Another lesson learned.

Bummer that you had problems with this, I've changed handles on several cars using aftermarket handles without incident, not sure what brand I used but I did get them offa Ebay.  When you get your camera back I'd like to see how your handles look body-color.  Also, how'd you do the olds logo in your avitar on the underside of your hood (or is that photoshop)?  That looks cool.

Thx! I'm really liking the self-colored handles. Ok, maybe loving! I am def going to do the mirrors now, and am contemplating doing the fake louver things between the door handle and qtr window.

Here's a little how-to about the hoodliner logo: http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=69373.0

ERORR Does Not Compuut.

what????

Thank you.

:lol: Dunno why, but I glanced at the SN real quick and for some reason read "RedGTP". I even read it like that again till I noticed the sig. :redface: I'd better get my head examined. :leaving: