reprogramming keyless

meltboy1

I picked up another keyless box at the junkyard for the 89 prix. I grounded out that wire near the antenna and the locks did cycle, but I can't seem to get my remote to work with it. Does my key have to be in the ignition at all, if so any certain position? How do I program it.

I tested them in another remote for my moms regal and they worked, but I am going to pick up a new pair just to make sure and rule that out.

Check the batteries first, if they are good, go to your local dealership, and they have a deal that will check if the fob is any good. They did that to the one for my 96, the device will light up green if there is a signal coming from the fob. It will save you from buying a new one if yours is good, if not buy one off ebay using the part number on yours, they are alot cheaper used. I still have to pick up a set for my 91 Cutlass.

ok cool, ya I got the keyfob off my friend from his old 96 GP and he never once had a problem with it, the "new" keyless reciever is out of a 94 GTP I saw at the yard today, so the problem could lie within that. I was just tryin to use cheap old parts to get this working instead of buying new... $3 for a reciever and a free keyless fob and a few bucks for batteries is better than new... :P

I just didn't know if I was doing it right.

That might be the problem, I think you're using to new of a fob, IIRC the older ones are different, I'd check that out first, maybe get the part number from the dealership, that's what I did for our old 95 voyager, went to the dealer got the part number and puicked up a used one on ebay. This is for your TGP right?

EDIT: I read that wrong if you're using a 94 box it should work with the newer fob.

it's on the 89, but should be the same, and ya, that's why I wanted to get a 94-96 box since the fob was off 96 and I couldn't get the fob to work with my 89 or my 90. Right now since I drive the 89 more I want it to work on that and one day get a new box and fob for the TGP.

I would try the dealer thing, when I got the 96, the guy had just put new batteries in it and said it didn't work. I took it to the dealership and asked if there was any way to test it and they brought out a box made just for testing those. After confirming it worked, they were nice enough to let me look in the book to find the programming procedure instead of paying them $100 to do something that takes 30 seconds. One thing I should mention is that after learning the process, I tried to see if the fob would work with my 94 Cutlass, and it didn't, but the box could have been fubared on my 94, I had the car 5 years and never even knew it had that option because I had not discovered this site yet :lol:

ok, well I stopped and got new batteries and it works.... sorta. It was kinda hit or miss earlier, so I think I will take it in to the dealer and see.