project thread: custom trunk release (finished 8-12)

AL

my car came without the option of a power trunk release and it makes me mad having to use my key all the time so i decided i would make a custom trunk release lever so i wouldnt have to use my key anymore... (pictures arent the best because i cant find my camara so i used photo booth)

i bought a trunk latch off a guy parting out a car on w-body... (pic later)

a cable off ebay that came from a Deawoo Leganza CDX...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280011429999

it measures 11 ft in length

Photo45.jpg

i also bought a hood release mechanism off ebay and re painted it because it was pretty scratched up...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110270136708

Photo42.jpg

Photo43.jpg

Photo44.jpg

Photo46.jpg

next step is hooking it up to the trunk latch... i will update as a continue the project...

Where it will be mounted... test fit #1

DSC05061.jpg

DSC05056.jpg

DSC05073.jpg

DSC05071.jpg

took my back seat out...

DSC05058.jpg

DSC05059.jpg

DSC05060.jpg

(it gets really ghetto rigged from here... i drilled a hole for a screw to go to mount it down...

DSC05062.jpg

put a hole in the carpet to put the wire through...

DSC05070.jpg

DSC05069.jpg

then i decided it didnt fit right so i trimmed off the bottom of the release lever...

DSC05089.jpg

DSC05090.jpg

wiring the rest of it in...

DSC05076.jpg

DSC05077.jpg

DSC05075.jpg

DSC05079.jpg

i tied it to the solenoid with some wire... sorry i didnt get pictures... the solenoids electric wire was broken when i bought it but i kept it anyway and tied the end of the cord to the u shaped device that pushes the latch open... best pics i got...

DSC05084.jpg

DSC05082.jpg

DSC05083.jpg

if you want i can unscrew the solenoid and take some pics of how it wired in...

the wire i used...

DSC05086.jpg

temporary hold until i get zipties...

DSC05080.jpg

cant even tell its back there...

DSC05091.jpg

DSC05093.jpg

all done...

th_MOV05085.jpg

now i just need to figure out how everything goes back together...

just curious...why didnt you just get a power release with a push button and mount it in the glovebox?...did the gp actually come with the cable release like that?

well because this is more unique and i will eventually be taking out the key hole in the trunk and if the power release ever failed i wouldnt be able to get into my trunk

and no the GP didnt come with a cable release which is why im making a custom one

Is the release on the prix different then a Lumina, because even if theres no power, you still can open with the key, cant ya? I know my Luminas you can.

i decided i would make a custom trunk release lever so i wouldnt have to use my key anymore...

im sure im not the only one who has had to shut off there car, get out to get something out of the trunk and then start it again... that just really annoys me... and with a bad back its hard to reach in the glove box to open the trunk as both my 2nd gens have had it in the glove box

I would like to know where you are going to put that, so you can still open your hood?

somewhere next to my seat... i havent test fitted anything yet

The lumina's pushbutton trunk release is on the drivers side of the dash, OEM....

pic?

The lumina's pushbutton trunk release is on the drivers side of the dash, OEM....

pic?

Don't have one handy, but it's on the knee panel on the left side. All you have to do is take your wheel off the steering wheel and pretty much push a bright yellow button right where your knee would meet the dash.

I wonder if one could be made using a 1988-89 Grand Prix fuel door release...

part of the future plans for my car... but after replacing the filler neck and getting rust in my eyes im not so sure how easy it will be to hook up...

part of the future plans for my car... but after replacing the filler neck and getting rust in my eyes im not so sure how easy it will be to hook up...

Putting the remote filler door release in is pretty easy. Friend of mine did it to his 1988 Cutlass Supreme.

Putting the remote filler door release in is pretty easy. Friend of mine did it to his 1988 Cutlass Supreme.

any write up? where did he mount the release

hmmm... now its got me thinking that i could use that on the trunk instead of its purpose of the fuel door... well wednesday i test fit the lever in my car... the next step is wiring the trunk latch to the cable

hmmm... now its got me thinking that i could use that on the trunk instead of its purpose of the fuel door...

Which was my initial thought... :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

my 94 cutlass never had one. I installed a push button inside of the glove compartment next to the light and it was the best thing i ever did. My Gp inspired me to do it like that.

But +1 for creativity

after monday the car will be torn apart for my college project and i will have the battery disconnected (another reason i did it this way...)

but thanks for the comments guys