My plans for making my own Poly dogbones!

AWeb80

Motor Mount - 6061-T6 Aluminum

Bushing - Polyurethane

Spacer - Heat-Treated O2

right now the Diam. of the bolt is .390 and the Inside Diam. of the spacer is .480. So, there has definately been some wear to the spacer, i can tell.

I will make the Spacer (where the bolt goes through) out of O2 because it will be very hard on the outside, but still soft on the inside. Because of this it will have great toughness, but yet not shatter if knocked around for some reason. Now since the Spacer is O2, that means the bolt will wear out, not the spacer. So i won't ever have to make a spacer again, just buy a new bolt.

I will make the Polyurethane press fit into the motor mount. One side of the bushing will have a lip on it(so i doesn't slide out), then the other side i'll just

1. drill two holes in the bushing

2. tap the holes

3. make a small bar with holes in it

4. screw the bar in to the tapped holes in the bushing

5. this will leave the bar resting on the edge of the motor mount

Now, i've got the lip on the bushing on one side holding it in, and the bar on the other side holding it in. So the bushing won't slide out. It will be press fit in, this is just a precaution.

I wish i was able to get pics to show you guys.

Now the grand idea.

I'm gonna mill the PONTIAC symbol into the top of the motor mount with it raised up. that will be sooooo coool.

You guys have any other ideas/Imput

Yeah, if they seem to keep the engine from moving less than the stock dogbones, sell me them.

Depends if my instructor will let me. Most of my time is going to be in designing them and drawing it up in AutoCAD. After I run mine, it should be faster to make them. But i'm not guaranteeing that i can make them for anyone else, I had to almost beg him to let me do it on "class time" when i'm supposed to be making my dies. He said he'd let me do it cause it will be a good CNC project.

Maybe after i make my own, i'll talk to my employer and see if they'll use the code that I wrote up and make them to sell you you guys. It might be cheaper than FFP cause i've already done all the programming and all they will have to do is set up the machine, the cutters, and so forth. Then load the program and GO!

all the programming?! my dad programs CNC machines all day, he could draw that up in like 5 minutes if he had the specs! not to bash you or anything, that would be a great thing to have. i know i cant do shit with those things, but hey ive never tried. my dads made me a whole bunch of stuff, he made my brother dual ports for a custom sub box out of aluminum and they look awesome! he even made me a yoyo! go for it man, ill talk to my dad and see if he can make something, and then i could talk to my boss (me and my dad work at the same place, i just mow the lawn though) and i could see if he could cut out a few pairs if you guys are interested, im not sure on how much they would cost but i can almost bet they'll be a hell of alot cheaper than FFP's dogbones! the only thing is that i would need some bushings... where are you getting your bushings? or where could i get some to fit ?

Well i'm still in school and learning. This will be a good project to do on the CNC mill. So the programming will take a while. I won't write the code myself, i'll use a programming software so that will help.

yeah id like to get into that myself. my dad has been doing it for a while, he tells me he was doing it back when you had to write thousands and thousands of lines of code, and thats all he would work on all day! is just typing out those codes, now all he does is use this cad drawing thing on the computer to form a model and the computer writes out all the codes for him and they get 4X more work done than before. where do you live?