Replacement sunroof? (go down to new post)

Addicted to eaton

my gtp’s sunroof is messed up. if I hit the open switch it will move back about 1/16th of and inch. it will stay there so if I press it enough times I can get the glass to pop up just a little bit. What could it be? Track? Switch? Motor? I think im going to take the head liner out in around 6 or 7 am lol.

Could be the switch. Once you get the headliner pulled off, I would pull the switch off and spray some contact cleaner in there. You should be able to jump the wires to either count out the switch or see if it's the motor.

Also, try to get some spray lube on the track. If/once you get it opened, get some good white lithium grease and spread it on the track. That way it'll stay good and lubed. Make sure it's the type you put on by hand, the spray stuff will dry after a few weeks.

Hey thanks man! Took the switch out and jumped the brown and white and it still does the same thing. Honestly I think it's off track, Stuck, or the motor is that week. I still need to check the relays and stuff though.

I would have no problem pulling the head liner out. Only problem is my sun visor’s have light’s on them so I can’t drop the headliner.

Hey thanks man! Took the switch out and jumped the brown and white and it still does the same thing. Honestly I think it's off track, Stuck, or the motor is that week. I still need to check the relays and stuff though.

I would have no problem pulling the head liner out. Only problem is my sun visor’s have light’s on them so I can’t drop the headliner.

You can still drop the headliner. There should be connectors for the mirror lights once you pull out the sunvisors. Just disconnect those and be on your way.

I'm not sure how the motors are connected in this, but I would have to assume that you could replace just the motor (maybe assembly?) and be on your way. It might even just need a good grease job!

I second a grease job just because mine did the same thing even though mine is a 93 the black piece in the front would flip up, and the window would start to move back maybe an inch and then stop cause something was jamming although not sure what but i just greased the black flip up piece and problem solved.

The motor works just fine. The plastic arms that ride in the tracks are broken. The moon roof just stopped locking down one day so I took the glass off and the plastic arms just fell apart. I would search for new complete track. Or do what I did and just leave it bolted down. Since new tracks are not cheap.

Fixed the sun roof in the grand prix lol. once it worked i rolled up the windows and close the glass and tuned the a/c on lol

What did you do to fix it?

Took the headliner out. Put a ratchet on it and opened it. Someone had put 2 screw in the sun roof causing the motor to strip the plastic gear that pulled it open. Who stripped it? probably me. When I was looking at it I seen the two screw’s but little did I know they went all the way threw to the body not just to hold the glass in *that’s were the screw’s were in the same place the factory puts a short one to hold the glass in.

Sunroof open

DSC00633.jpg

this is how much it used to open

DSC00618.jpg

and this cool little sticker

DSC00621.jpg

the motor.

DSC00620.jpg

Blah! So I had it working (kind of it would open and close with a little help). Anyways now when I press the button I hear it working but it's not moving the glass. Someone was talking about replacement sunroofs for like 75$ (used sunroof's that still work) anyone have any ideas? Or links of were. Thanks, Oh and the damn thing leaks lol.