Need to buy a new radiator....

jmoore4294

So, I found out today, that I will be needing a new radiator and water pump, which after 13 years for the radiator and 3 years for the pump, it comes to no surprise to me. I've already ordered the water pump from rock auto, i think the total plus gasket and shipping was $40. Now I need to get the radiator, and I have a question or two. How thick were the stock LQ1 radiators? And of the ones rock auto has listed which would you recommend? Thanks.

yes they have a 1 1/4"thick core. i just replaced mine not to long agao.

go with the "spectra premium part#cu1518" that you have in screenshot.

that is actually about $100.00 cheaper then i paid for mine.

Alright. Thanks guys. Now I gotta ask, how hard/easy is it to replace a radiator? I've done the water pump before, and I'm gonna do it again to save myself another $100 for a shop to do it. Can a radiator be done in one day? It should just unbolt right? Along with hoses and all that, that just pop off.

ya took me about  1 hour or so as well. simple job.

this is the one i bought....

new one on the right, old one on the left. if you get the same style as this, just leave the plastic plugs in the left hand side of the rad.no need for using that side. and don't forget to swap the sensor or replace it with a new one.

100_0427.jpg

not sure what that sensor is called,(temp sensor)? someone else will have to chime in for that. i just took the one off my old rad and out it on the new one.

that is the coolant level sensor. i wouldnt replace it if it doesnt need it. besides, they are like $50 !

Unless you got a phantom light that says low coolant coming on when you know its full and there aint a bunch a crud built up on it, switch it and be done with it.

Gotcha. No, no light, maybe some crud. I've only had the car for about a year, and when I bought it, there was some serious stop leak in there. Possibly 2 different kinds. But we'll see how it looks when I pull it.

So I thought that the sensor might have been fucked, cause not too long ago, I busted a hose, and lost almost all of my coolant riding down the road, with no warning light or anything. So for shits and giggles, I went out to look at it, and loe and behold....IT WASN'T PLUGGED IN!!!! Guess I won't be needing to replace it after all. LOL!!