Is it to late?

Addicted to eaton

Is it to late for me to do it!? my car still does this. How would i know if it has been did befor?

NOV 04, 2002 | Recall ID# 62830 Hide Details

Recall Reason STEERING:RACK AND PINION

Recall Date NOV 04, 2002

Model Affected GRAND PRIX

Potential Units Affected 1159156

Recall Summary

CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES AND MINI VANS HAVE LOWER PINION BEARINGS IN THE POWER RACK AND PINION ASSEMBLY IN WHICH THE RETAINER TABS WERE NOT CRIMPED PROPERLY. THESE AND SOME OTHER RETAINERS USED IN VEHICLES ASSEMBLED BETWEEN JANUARY 1, 1996 AND OCTOBER 31, 1997, COULD FAIL AND PERMIT THE BALL BEARINGS TO ESCAPE.

Consequence

IF THIS OCCURS, THE PINION SHAFT CAN BE FORCED UPWARD DURING LEFT TURNS AND BACK DOWN AS THE STEERING WHEEL IS MOVED BACK AND TO THE RIGHT. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL NEED TO EXERT MORE EFFORT TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL, SIMILAR TO A VEHICLE WITHOUT POWER ASSISTED STEERING. IF THE PINION SHAFT MOVES EVEN FURTHER, THE DRIVER WILL REQUIRE MUCH HIGHER EFFORT TO TURN LEFT AND MAY NOT BE ABLE TO TURN THE WHEEL AS MUCH AS INTENDED. WITH THE MAXIMUM PINION SHAFT MOVEMENT, WHICH REQUIRES INTERNAL GEAR COMPONENT DAMAGE, THE DRIVER CAN ENCOUNTER HIGH RESISTANCE TO TURNING LEFT, FOLLOWED BY UNINTENDED POWER ASSIST TO THE RIGHT. IN ANY OF THESE CONDITIONS, A CRASH COULD OCCUR.

Remedy

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW LOWER PINION BEARING UNLESS INSPECT OF THE EXISTING BEARING INDICATES THAT REPLACEMENT OF THE GEAR ASSEMBLY IS NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JANUARY 24, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, PONTIAC AT 1-800-762-2737, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.

Notes

GENERAL MOTORS CORP. 02049

Only 96 GPs are included... the 97 and up use much different racks..

You need to get more info. I have the entire thing but am too lazy to find it on ma hdd.. It shows what vin breakthroughs are covered

Really!?

the pump and reservoir are located on the front side of the motor with the belts (duh) and just above the CV axle shaft. You can hardly see it, but its there, and the cap is best reached between the motor and the fire wall.

It could be low, or nasty and needs a flushed, or the previous owner never took it to the dealership for the steering rack recall, which involved the dealerships putting in a new replacement bearing what wont break and cause this problem, or the steering wheel to lock on you in the middle of a turn.

~F~

Fernsworth knows his shit... im gonna say that it was a recall

There is no deadline...

When I first got my car I took it to an authorized GM dealer and had them check it out. I think they run the vin and they can see what recalls have and have not been done to that particular car.

Jamie

There is no deadline...

When I first got my car I took it to an authorized GM dealer and had them check it out. I think they run the vin and they can see what recalls have and have not been done to that particular car.

Jamie

Thank's man That's what i was looking to hear.

x2 on that lol. Wish more W-body people were night owls lol. Get's lonely around 4am lol. Then someone will come in around 7 or 8ish then its dead until about 9ish lol

lol, I'm not that hardcore... I got a 2 hour drive first thing in the morning so I can get home and go shopping for the GPs replacement (not getting rid of it, just taking it off the road for a year or so, after the end of August it will never be my DD again)

I'm going to bed now :lol:

Jamie

yeah few night's ago i stayed up all night looking at stuff for gtp's tryed to go to sleep but couldn't speent that whole day planing stuff and selling stuff. That night i tried to go to sleep. But keep thinking about the gtp got on w-body then went to work with my mom. Sold the cutlass drove 250miles got my GTP drove 250 miles back. drove around went home. And realized i had not sleep in a few day's

so what do I basically ask them?

If my steering rack has been fixed?

I doubt it has previously btw....I've had the car for 9 yrs....and no steering rack work done to it

THESE AND SOME OTHER RETAINERS USED IN VEHICLES ASSEMBLED BETWEEN JANUARY 1, 1996 AND OCTOBER 31, 1997

Might have other recall's though

All I do is go in and ask if the can check my car for any outstanding recall notices.

This is something that any car owner should do, when you buy a car new you have the luxury of getting notices in the mail, but unless you buy your used car from the dealer you never get these notices... so it doesn't hurt to go in every now and then and get them to check for new recalls... Just because our cars are no longer made doesn't mean they won't put out a new recall.

Jamie

Only 96 GPs are included...

Uh......

THESE AND SOME OTHER RETAINERS USED IN VEHICLES ASSEMBLED BETWEEN JANUARY 1, 1996 AND OCTOBER 31, 1997, COULD FAIL AND PERMIT THE BALL BEARINGS TO ESCAPE.

don't think they're still making the 1st gen GP's 3/4 of the way into 1997

Chances are the steering rack was made by the same company for that period of time and one of the parts inside it carried over.

Jamie

exactly, early 97 GP's were freaks like taht.

I had the same recall with ALL the info including VIN breakthroughs... 97GPs were not in there.

This is assuming it hasnt been updated in the last year..

Gimme a few, im gonna log into Mitchell and pull up the recall info

I called gm about it this morning and they told me to drop it off Tuesday morning and they should have it done Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning so obviously it is a recall. The asked or the VIN. Then made me an appointment.