How to get a new Odo Set? digital 9c3

Cully77

I've been wanting to pick up an ex-police lumina digital cluster and I found one for the right price, but unfortunately the mileage is under what I'm currently at. Does anybody know how I could go about getting it set to my mileage? I know my dealer wont touch it. Is this going to be a big pain in the arse?

honestly if it were mine i would leave it alone and record the current mileage. But there is a writeup somewhere on the forum on how to do it. It has to do with the VSS green wire

thanks for the reply,

I'd like to do it "legally" if that's possible. The few people I've talked to over the phone just say "You have to send it to GM." How exactly do I do that, that is possibly the most generic answer there is :mad: I'll check do another search, didn't find what you're talking about initially but I'll look again. I guess it just might be easier find one with higher mileage. It's just a little frustrating because when I call some yards they act like they could care less if I give them my business or not.

yeah the problem is, they will only send my current cluster in for repair. And if I installed the digital, I don't think they'd be happy if I told them the mileage needed changed.

But if I just leave it, I don't know how a dealer would react if I want to trade the car in at some point. I realize I could disclose the true mileage, but how would they know I'm not lying? Show them the old cluster? But then how can I prove what the new Odo started at?

rockfangd - yes, dealerships are often outrageous. I'm not saying I'm dead set on having the dealership take care of this. I was just wondering what my options are, and trying to determine if it is worth buying this low mileage cluster that may cause me hassles down the road, or if I should keep searching for a higher one.

i will be completely honest it is probably going to be difficult to find one close to yours. I wish someone would chime in on this. it the OD0 digital or analogue. i know if it is digital you have to do something with rapid pulses on the VSS wire to simulate driving the mileage. how much lower is it actually

i tried posting this last night, but it didn't show up. You've got to simulate speed by using a function generator. It'll generate a sine wave, feed that into the VSS wire. Start with a slow frequency and see what speed the speedo shows. Make sure your voltage isn't too high onto the vss wire, you dont want to burn it up. An easy way to do this would be to take an oscilloscope with you while driving and read the vss wire. That'll let you know what to set the voltage for, it'll also give you a rough estimate of the frequency required to make it go at a reasonable speed (150mph or so), plus you'll be able to see if it really is a sine wave or if it's sqare, sawtooth, etc. I'm pretty sure it's a sine wave, but it could be square too. Now the problem is getting a scope and a function generator. I think my dad's got em, but anyone that works with electronic stuff should have them too. Hope this helped!

Yikes, maybe that's not as hard as it sounds, but I don't know anything about electrical. I don't actually have the new cluster in my possession, or were you saying read the vss on my current cluster. Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I think that's out of range of my abilities.

• 2 years later...

So, I'm a little confused...how do you hook the cluster up to the PC to get it to advance the mileage? I was told the cluster I have has about 77k on it, and I'd like to advance it up to where I'm at 153k. I know that's a lot of miles, but I'm in no hurry...