Custom intake question

Dannymik

OK...I installed a custom built intake today that I purchased off Ebay for my 3100 and have a few questions. First I would like to say that it sounds nice @ about 3000+ RPMS :shock: 8) . Now I know they call them cold air intakes, but how can you get cold air when the original air duct from behind your head lights doesn't flow directly through the cone? It seems as if I lost a slight bit of high end torque when the car is hot at a idle. And what are the 2 plugs that connect to the tube thats right between the mass air and the cone? I know that dual exhaust would help out with the performance of the intake :wink:! Have you all had a increase of performance from these custom made intakes?

w-body.jpg

Well, many people create an air-duct to have the engine suck in air from outside the engine bay. Check around, I remember seeing a post about "Ram Air" through the light fixtures. At hot idle, you will notice a "slower" car since hot air has less oxygen molecules in a set volume of air; making less to combust with. Colder air has more O2 and that's why you'll want to grab air from outside the engine bay as much as possible.

- Erik

here are my two cents:

you're not supposed to have a giant amount of torque at high RPMs. high RPM zone is generally where you want horsepower.

also...this cold/hot air stuff is all random theory. i will pass on what i read on ClubGP about the subject. wait...F it...here's the link...read yourself.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=871547&appid=&p=&mpage=1&key=&language=single&tmode=&smode=&s=#880620

So I modified my intake tonight. I put the bottom half of the factory airbox back in so the air duct from behind the headlights flow directly into the cone. Plus the cone rest inside the box...it might prevent the hotter air from the cone. I'm just experimenting with this...does anyone have any other options I can try? I would like to :read: your input

w-body.jpg