1997 GTP Questions

Addicted to eaton

Within a week or two I will be buying a 1997 GTP 3800 s/c it has 176,000 miles on it. I really plan on babying this car. I have learned my lesson Burn out’s kill W-bodies lol. But with this car having a l67 in it I might have a little trouble doing so. I know about the l67 BBQ. And it has been fixed. How Reliable are these baby’s? What kind of performance should I expect out of it compared to the 3100? What are some stuff I should expect to replace?

The way I have always thought about it (true or not) is that the 97s were the first year of a major redesign, of all the 2nd gen years 97 is the one I would avoid, simply because thats where all the bugs would be. Personally I wouldn't buy a 97 or 98, figuring that by 99 GM should of had the bugs worked out of them.

I know not everyone here will agree with this, but its the way I feel....

Jamie

The way I have always thought about it (true or not) is that the 97s were the first year of a major redesign, of all the 2nd gen years 97 is the one I would avoid, simply because thats where all the bugs would be. Personally I wouldn't buy a 97 or 98, figuring that by 99 GM should of had the bugs worked out of them.

Jamie

Oh come on, this is GM we're talking about! They still didn't have all the problems worked out of the J-bodies after 20-something years! :lol:

FWIW: My car is a '99, the first year of the GA's last re-do. It's been okay. I think if the car has been taken care of mechanically you'll be fine (especially since the L67 BBQ issue is fixed).

Jamie

Oh come on, this is GM we're talking about! They still didn't have all the problems worked out of the J-bodies after 20-something years! :lol:

Sorry.... as fixed as GM would ever be able to get it, lol

Jamie

Jamie

Sorry.... as fixed as GM would ever be able to get it, lol

Jamie

Gotcha. ;)

97's have been known to be electrical nightmares to some people, they have a lot of 97 only parts on them. 98's got changed a lot as well as 99's.

BUT, 3800's are very reliable, and the performance of the L67 compared to the 3100 is night and day...seriously. Even a stock L67. I know the guy's a member here, see if the s/c coupler has been replaced, otherwise it will probably need it.

What are some stuff I should expect to replace?

Your gas buying habits?

Car won't be happy with regular grade.

I'll echo some of the other comments, more universal towards the Grand Prix's as a whole, lots of electrical problems, I would expect leaky rims as well. Speaking of which, what is on the car, fat 5, or twisted X-lace?

just dont buy it, save your money and buy a nice car. its got a lot of miles , its a 97, the body is hit, the interior is hit im not really seeing the plus side of buying this car? if you already have a 3100 powered car fix it for a few hundred bucks and drive it into the ground while you save your money. It would be a shame to see you buy that car and have it die too. then youd be in the same position out 1200 bucks.

just dont buy it, save your money and buy a nice car. its got a lot of miles , its a 97, the body is hit, the interior is hit im not really seeing the plus side of buying this car? if you already have a 3100 powered car fix it for a few hundred bucks and drive it into the ground while you save your money. It would be a shame to see you buy that car and have it die too. then youd be in the same position out 1200 bucks.

I could not agree more. :high5:

that and the fact that the car has obvisioly been in a wreck on the driver side and fixed poorly and seeing as the rear 1/4 door and fender needed replaced it must have been fairly serious. stay away from 97's and stay away from wrecked cars.

Jamie

Thats my usual rule of thumb when looking at a new generation of any GM car I look at.

i bought a 97 gtp last year. it only had 71,000 miles and it is in pretty decent shape. it runs well and is completely original. my daughter ran a 14.80@ 96 mph at milan dragway pretty consitentently. it has some rust near gas tank filler door and under the plastic ground effects the rockers are pretty rusty. don't really know what other problems they but i have heard others talk about rust problems. it is a decent car for my daughter to finish college in gets decent mileage, plus she really likes it. 2 door black stock chrome 5 spokes.

Listen I almost agree with what some of these guys are saying. This car runs great and for those haters that say 97's are shit well this car has 178k on it and I have never had electrical problems nor leaky rims, and you guys talk about bugs well fuck I bet 90% of your cars that have high miles have bugs. Don't trash talk a car until you drive it. Where I do agree is that you sound like a young kid that doesnt have money laying around and yes this car does need some cosmetic work so maybe it isnt the car for you but this car is amazing mechanically. As for birdman you must not really have that much knowlegde in body work as this is easy shit, I just don't want to do it. You say it's fairly serious well I can show you the carfax if you'd like since it wasn't serious enough to report it. I have no problem with you guys telling this kid that it might not be in his best interest because yes this does need work but when you start talking shit about a car you know nothing about meaning mine not all 97's you can fuck off.

As a matter of fact i do know that making that car look good wouldnt be all that hard, all i was stating is that it was obvisouly in a wreck that damaged the fender, door, and rear 1/4, and wasnt fixed properly. Its just somthing to take into account, some people dont want a wrecked car and others could care less, i was just brinigng it to his attention. and as far as carfax goes, its mostly a joke, my lumina has been wrecked 3 times and needed the front end replaced twice and none of thats on there. Im not bashing your car, it just seem like a irresponsible move to buy wrecked, high mile, first year car for your main form of transportation. It looks like hes got several of those already. Good luck selling the car though. :high5:

sorry man I took that as you bashing I wasn't trying to make it personal it just makes me mad because I'm not trying to screw anyone and reading those posts made it seem like you guys were trying to say that. Anthony if you buy this car and hot rod it I'm sure it will blow to hell and back. I drive this car like an old man because I want the best gas mileage. I never professed that this is a show car, the main thing wrong is the left fender, the hood, and the back rocker that is mostly pulled out. The rest of this car is as mechanically sound as they come. This is my daily driver and has been for 5 months 5 days a week, before that my brother drove it and my friend before him with the only problem being the alternator going bad. I have two other guys that have cash right now but I told anthony that I would give him time.

We weren't trying to bash you or the car....just that 97's have been know to BE electrical nightmares, and a lot of people don't like them because they use different parts than the 98-03's.

Search. Just recently there was a topic on 1997 GTP's, and how unreliable and unpredictable they are.

My buddy has a '97 and has owned it for 3+ years and has put on close to 40k with little or no issues.

Ill I put 750$ dollars down on it today. I will be picking it up the next Friday 25th. When I get my dad’s car sold I will have $1,000 to put into the body work that needs done. I start I start Donaldson’s the first of January. I start out at 13.45 an hour. I will have 401k, Life insurance, Medical and dental. This car is to get into something that has an aftermarket. I know I will probably need to put a Transmission and motor in it. Big deal. The car was 1,200$. Hell of a price for any 2ed gen :) Thanks, Anthony

CARFAX most definitely is a joke! My brother used to work for NICB (National insurance crime bureau) and on many occasions showed me cars that had clean CARFAX reports with upwards of 15 damage claims against insurance companies.One I remember distinctly was a Mercedes with 17 damage claims!! And not a single report on CARFAX.