Driving, Driving, DEAD!

jpv123

Ok, no symptoms just stalls out and doesn't start due to a dead battery. Can this be the alternater? I jump it with a "Jiffy Jump" That I have in my trunk and it starts, as soon as I disconnect it It doesn't idle and stalls. I had it running ok with the "Jiffy Jump" connected laying under the hood but it wasn't enough to make it home. I needed a tow. So it's sitting at my mechanics. Does anyone know how much $$$$ an alternater job costs on a 3.4 DOHC. I know it's gonna be costly but i'm trying to get an idea. Thanks. :roll:

Yeah it's probably the Alt. I had mine done at the Pontiac dealer and I beileve it was 450$ in total. It could just be your battery too cause my battery is about 4 years old and it ran for a day with no alt. charging all the while with the voltage light being on, so if the alt went out you might make it home if your battery is any good.

Dude save yourself 400 bucks and do it yourself. It isn't as bad as everyone says, just time consuming. You DO NOT have to be a mechanic to do it if you can undo like 15 bolts, and then hook up a plug in the same place. I have the manual, if you want the manuals step by step instructions, e-mail me at romeoguy62@yahoo.com

I would post them right now, but it'd be pointless if you are dead set on having it done professionally.

Thanks, I don't think I'm gonna attempt this one myself. I don't have the time to do it or the patients for it. I'm afraid I'll "loose it" and kick a dent in the door or something. Anyway my mechanic ordered the delco alternater and I should have the car back tommorrow. I'll let you guys know how much it all comes to.