Mystery 6 pin pigtail on my head unit

ismellrealbad

For unfortunate reasons my friend just gave me his Panasonic CQ-C8401U which im going to put in my protege. Although it will go right into the grand prix once and if its running :) I didnt have any tools so i just ripped it out of the car. There was an unusual harness coming off the back that clipped into a black box, which was wired to stuff, i believe a large power wire. Instead of fumbling I just disconnected it. I beleive it was some kinda of alternate powersource. When I connect the regular harness it turns on and operates fine, preouts and inputs are fine, theres just no sound from the speakers. I put it in the grand prix with a whole nother harness and same result. I believe this thing was necessary to power the unit's internal amplifier since it puts out an unheard of 24RMS 60peak. I either need to know where I can get this little box or where I can find at least the installation manual for this thing. I have had NO FUCKING LUCK at all trying to get this.

Circuit City has no idea

Best Buy has no idea

Panasonic wasnt sure when I called

Panasonics site only had the owners manual. It does NOT include wiring or installation instructions. NOBODY has these instructions online, only "all inclusive owners manual"

Does ANYONE have this thing, know where I can get it, or has panasonic installation instructions for this or a similar unit.

fa3583cd.jpg

Some searching led me to crutchfield's page on this unit. On their "What's in the box" section, it called that a "DC/DC Converter". It helps provide extra power to the headunit's internal amplifier.

Found the part on panasonic's parts website http://pasc.panasonic.com

Part# YEP0FX03289 List price is $101.78 :( ouch

Found it a little cheaper here: http://www.pronto.com/Panasonic-YEP0FX03289-CONVERTER-p_985104255-PP

Also here, but same price as Panasonic wanted: https://www.ued.net/ued/addItems.do?itemCode=MSCYEP0FX03289

If it "helps" provide power does that mean it just boosts the internal amp or is the internal amp not able to run off of a regualr 12V radio lead in a car??

Ive never heard of this before, although i have very little experience with Panasonic.

thanks so much for that part number. ive been searching all day. i did just not come up with "DC/DC converter".....figures its 100 bucks. i guess thats what i get for getting a free head unit

It more than likely provides a higher voltage (than 12V) to the internal amp so it can put out more power. I've heard of these before, but never actually encountered one personally.

:lol: It was my friend's. He ran it off the deck, but he also had the converter thing. I just didnt grab it out of his car, which is now gone. I have a lot of options in getting my free head unit to work. Problem is all of them cost $100 or more

-buy the converter: $100

-go back to the car, if its there anymore: $100 in gas (Its in NH)

-amp the speakers (I have a brand new interior amp) but I have no speakers. so looking at $200 plus for decent set of 4

Fuck :rolleyes:

:lol: It was my friend's. He ran it off the deck, but he also had the converter thing. I just didnt grab it out of his car, which is now gone. I have a lot of options in getting my free head unit to work. Problem is all of them cost $100 or more

-buy the converter: $100

-go back to the car, if its there anymore: $100 in gas (Its in NH)

-amp the speakers (I have a brand new interior amp) but I have no speakers. so looking at $200 plus for decent set of 4

Fuck :rolleyes:

What kind of amp and whats the wattage?? You could always amp the factory speakers for now, jus keeps the gains and volume low and you should be alright. Then when they blow you will have a good excuse to get new speakers!

factory speakers are typically 10ohm. not only is it bad for the speakers but i dont want to run the risk of that fuckin up the amp. idk if they can run correctly with that

The deck still runs 12V, however the larger power is required because of a higher current draw. Company's generally do this so they can focus the deck's main power (normal power in the harness) directly to the low level outputs (RCA's) for a stronger signal = cleaner sound.

Basically, this deck is mainly meant for better sq. But, if you need to power your speakers off of the internal amplifier, you will need the dc/dc convertor box. If you can, get it out of your buddy's vehicle. If not, and you don't want to spend the $100 on it, but you like the deck, then i'd suggest a 4 channel amp.

factory speakers are typically 10ohm. not only is it bad for the speakers but i dont want to run the risk of that fuckin up the amp. idk if they can run correctly with that

Factory speakers are generally 4 ohm. Some amplified systems are 2ohm.

Basically, this deck is mainly meant for better sq. But, if you need to power your speakers off of the internal amplifier, you will need the dc/dc convertor box. If you can, get it out of your buddy's vehicle. If not, and you don't want to spend the $100 on it, but you like the deck, then i'd suggest a 4 channel amp.

That's my dilemma. I have an Alpine MRP-F450 right now still sitting in the box untouched. Problem is I'm not gunna put it up to stock paper garbage speakers, whether it’s safe for the amp to power high resistance (assuming they are) speakers or not. That’s just ridiculous.

I can't get the part from my freinds car. I’m either looking at dropping 100 bucks and waiting a couple weeks for the backorder overpriced piece of shit part, or dropping a few hundred on components for front and rear to do it the right way. So it could be either 100 or 400 I spend. Either way it’s that much I don’t have, so I’m fucked and idk wut to do. :evil:

I’m pretty sure every speaker in my collection of stockers are all 10ohm....most or all of which are GM. I will check to prove myself wrong or right

• 3 weeks later...

The DC to DC converter box provides a cleaner power source to the head unit which will maximize SQ.

Eventhough the car is 12V DC the alternator produces AC which is rectified to DC. There is still AC ripple current in our 12V DC cars. its a fact of the matter. This box helps to eliminate that ripple current and provide the cleanest 12V to the deck.

DC-to-DC converter box is the same thing you usually find in separate amplifiers. I'm sure it's not as powerful as the DC-DC converter built into an external amp, but same thing anyway.

10-ohm speakers won't hurt any amp. You can always go higher in ohms, not lower. Higher will just reduce the power output. For example, an amp that's rated 50WRMS is probably only capable of around 20WRMS to 10-ohm speakers (just a guesstimate).