stlunatics2oo3

okay my question is :

i am putting new rims on my car my stock ones wtih tires are 205/70/R14 and the new rims with tires is 195/50/R15 okay what i am wondering since i checked and it will be 10% to fast by the saab turbo digest ... does the vehicle speed sensor just read how fast the tire is goin cause i am wonderin if my speedometer will be messed up ??

and if so is it by 10 mph

thanks

Jeremy

The VSS reads axle rotations and then uses your stock OVERALL tire size to make speed calculations (prolly more inputs too). A smaller overall tire will give slower speeds and bigger tires will yield higher speeds. Why do want to go with NARROWER tires?

Robby

ya i was wondering the same thing when i read your post, why are you going with narrower tires?

and here is a tire calculator to figure out what size is best suited when upsizing or downsizing tires/rims

http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

i punched in your specs and the calculator said that your speedometer will be about 5mph faster, so for example if your speedometer says 50mph the true speed you are going is about 45mph

195/50R15? Man, those are gonna be TINY tires. Are you going for the lowrider look with gold wire rims and everything?

I would go with at least 215/65R15.

A 205/70/R14 tire has a diameter of roughly 25.3" (will depend on actual tire - 2 different tires in the same size will have slightly different dimensions). A 195/50/R15 tire has a diameter of 22.68"; this is a lot smaller than the original tire. Your speedometer will be off and if the car is not lowered, it will look like a 4X4.

I'd keep the diameter close to the original. For a 15" wheel, I'd go with either a 205/65/15 (25.49") or a 225/60/15 (25.63").

My car came with 195/70/15 tires (25.75" diameter - that size not made anymore). I'm putting on 225/55/16 tires (25.74") on '94 - '96 factory 5 spokers.

I dont thing Gm ever put the 195/70/14 on a GP it probably was a 195/75/14 beind I have only seen 195/75/14 and 205/70/15s on a GP with going with 14's and 15's I think that you should check the door and see what it is supost to have....its not to big a deal other then you speedo being off which brings you odometer off which puts more miles on your car for when you go to sell it.....

I would say if you are putting 15's on go with the 225/60/15 being I went from a 215/60/16 to a 225/60/16 and the 225 is alot better,

granted I cant do the Great burnouts for a city block anymore but I can take those 25mph courners alot faster now..

im also going to a 245/40/18 next summer though as soon as i find a rim I like ......so hey a tire is just a tire..

but 195s are good for civic's but not w-bodys

The VSS reads axle rotations and then uses your stock OVERALL tire size to make speed calculations (prolly more inputs too). A smaller overall tire will give slower speeds and bigger tires will yield higher speeds. Why do want to go with NARROWER tires?

Robby

Not trying to be nit picky Robby, but the smaller the tire diameter the faster it spins therefore showing a faster speed on the speedo. Larger tires take longer to make a full revolution thus showing slower speeds on the speedo... :wink:

Not trying to be nit picky Robby, but the smaller the tire diameter the faster it spins therefore showing a faster speed on the speedo. Larger tires take longer to make a full revolution thus showing slower speeds on the speedo... :wink:

The speedo will read 50 but you will not be doing 50. You will actually be going slower.

Robby is right.

:wink:

The speedo will read 50 but you will not be doing 50. You will actually be going slower.

Robby is right.

:wink:

Yeah, me and TGPilot said the same thing, I was making my comment in reference to the speedo, thats why is sounded weird

Robby

yeah they were not gold either they was chrome but they took my car way to low and the spokes smacked the brake caliper so i will get new ones.

i measured the difference in the front and there was a 3 inch drop