Smoke coming from the steering column

jdm lumina

Today while i was driving home i noticed smoke coming from the steering column. I was at about 55 mph just cruising. The smoke lasted for about 5 mins. This is the only time the car has done this since i owned it. Have any of you guys had this problem. should i be worried about it. thanks for the help

The same thing happened to me. Before you replace the turn signal switch... When it starts smoking, try quickly turning the steering wheel back and forth, while you are in park. I did this on my Regal when it was smoking, and the smoking stopped. If the smoking continues after you try that, just replace the turn signal switch.

Today while i was driving home i noticed smoke coming from the steering column.

That used to happen to my old Lumi. I never got around to replacing it.

ya, it's not that hard to change it, just gotta pull the steering wheen and there's only a couple screws that h old it in place. Just mark the steering wheel position or it will look like you are always turning like in my 89... I gota fix that one day... :P

yep, my old Lumina used to do it before my dad got fed up with it and paid to get it replaced :lol:

Mine would smoke for a minute or so every so often...than one day it smoked non-stop for about 30 minutes...then it never did it again

My cutlass does it every other month. This time the left turnsignal stopped working. So I assumed I had to replace it. But the next day it was back to normal. So I can milk it longer till I have to replace it. And this started 5 years ago!!:)

Your car is about to blow up. Quit driving it, this is the first sign of the flux capacitor failing. Once it starts smoking, you're going to see some serious shit.

Your car is about to blow up. Quit driving it, this is the first sign of the flux capacitor failing. Once it starts smoking, you're going to see some serious shit.

WERD.

Or your car is leaking blinker fluid into the intake manifold.

WERD.

Or your car is leaking blinker fluid into the intake manifold.

OMFMLSFGL67BBQZORZ!!

this man tells the truth. I said before my Lumina did it...why do you think I got rid of it? So it wouldn't blow up

Any cheap places to find this turn signal switch? Everyone locally wants ~$100 for one. And I've taken it apart and the contacts are pretty darn worn..