Questions about W-body oddities . . . .

Breakdown

Here goes:

1991-1996 GTP's are technically not badged Grand Prix's on the outside, does the same apply with the Z34's? I would assume not, but I'm curious.

Not so much a W-question, but the Z-designations on Chevy's all refer to the engine sizes I would assume, does anyone know why they didn't ditch the Z28 Camaro designation or why some (I believe) Z24 Cavaliers had 3.1L V6's?

1994-1996 Grand Prix's was it possible to order a CD with the 7-band equalizer or did you have to chose between the trebble/bass sliders with the CD and the Tape with the 7-band equalizer (and to a lesser extent that tape with the sliders).

1997-2003 Grand Prix's is there anything governing the colour of the lower valiance on the front of white Grand Prixs? Were any done white from the factory, I've seen piles around here that are white and not grey. My suspicion is that 2001-2003 SE's were done all white - does anyone know?

Was 1996 the last year for the DOHC 3.4L? And was there any exception on the 1997 Cutlass Supreme - to the best of my knowledge they were all 3100's for the last production year.

Are the Buick Century's high reliability numbers as a result of it being the only 3100-only 2nd Generation W-body make, old driver's or factory in which it is built?

What year did they reverse the colours on the 4-door GP's tail-lights (1991-1996)? Are there any "mixed" model years, where one trim level gets the lights the one way and the other the other way?

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

I know the Z34 Lumina says Lumina on both quarters near the Z34 and on the trunk lid. Its not a plastic badge, but a decal.

I don't think the Z has anything to do with engine size. Z06 Corvette doesnt have a .6 litre engine, nor does a Z26 Beretta have a 2.6

I know the 1997 Lumina LTZ had the 3.4 DOHC as an option and then it was replaced with the 3800 series II in 1998.

Why do is product on a boat considered cargo and product on trucks considered shipments?

If the front bumper and valance area on a 01-03 GP is painted a soild color that means it's an SE. This goes for ALL SE's. You had to get either a GT or GTP trim level to get the "multi" colored bumper and valance area.

Cutty's had only 3100's for their final production year. Even the 96's were more difficult to come by with the DOHC, but not unheard of.

Thats all I kinda know. :lol:

Not so much a W-question, but the Z-designations on Chevy's all refer to the engine sizes I would assume, does anyone know why they didn't ditch the Z28 Camaro designation or why some (I believe) Z24 Cavaliers had 3.1L V6's?

Information exists... that the Z34 is the ONLY car to get it's number based on the engine size. there is an article on two pre-production Luminas, one was a "Z50" as it had a 5 liter v8!!!!

CAN ANYONE LOCATE THAT ARTICLE? It used to be on the main page.

Was 1996 the last year for the DOHC 3.4L? And was there any exception on the 1997 Cutlass Supreme - to the best of my knowledge they were all 3100's for the last production year. NO, and NO, at least not as a production car....

97 Z34s had them, and that was all. That is also the only year they had a 4t65e

Are the Buick Century's high reliability numbers as a result of it being the only 3100-only 2nd Generation W-body make, old driver's or factory in which it is built?

Most likely they were sold in high numbers. I recall riding in many as rental vehicles too.

sometime... try putting your car in park while on the parkway. do this during rush hour, and watch the hilarity ensue!

Here goes:

1991-1996 GTP's are technically not badged Grand Prix's on the outside, does the same apply with the Z34's? I would assume not, but I'm curious.

Thats a Canadian thing. ALL grand prixs were exported to Canada as SE's no matter what the designation. This was an effort to save money on exporting costs, but in the long run it saves us on insurance! HAHA! To the best of my knowledge this stopped in 97

As mention Z## only referred to engine size on the Z34

1994-1996 Grand Prix's was it possible to order a CD with the 7-band equalizer or did you have to chose between the trebble/bass sliders with the CD and the Tape with the 7-band equalizer (and to a lesser extent that tape with the sliders).

My OEM CD player had the 7 band equalizer I think... I gave it to Ryan, but he can now longer come here....

1997-2003 Grand Prix's is there anything governing the colour of the lower valiance on the front of white Grand Prixs? Were any done white from the factory, I've seen piles around here that are white and not grey. My suspicion is that 2001-2003 SE's were done all white - does anyone know?

No idea, lol

Was 1996 the last year for the DOHC 3.4L? And was there any exception on the 1997 Cutlass Supreme - to the best of my knowledge they were all 3100's for the last production year.

In 97 it was available in the Z34 and the Cutlass, I have yet to see one in person around here though.

I thought the GP SEs got the 3100 in 97...

What year did they reverse the colours on the 4-door GP's tail-lights (1991-1996)? Are there any "mixed" model years, where one trim level gets the lights the one way and the other the other way?

Technically they never changed them, it was a difference between the coupe and the sedan. All sedans through to 96 got the amber on top and red on bottom, all coupes got the red on top amber on bottom. Now, se coupes at one point, I`m not sure when, got red on top and amber on bottom but no cross hatching, I`m not sure when that was...

To cause mass confusion in engineers offices all over the country!

Jamie

Only the 01-03 Grand Prix SE's had body color front lower fascias painted body color, any GT or GTP you see with that has been repainted/wrecked and repaired.

97-03 GP SE's also got the 3100, so the Century and SE got the 3100 for the 2nd Gen w-body.

The Grand Prix SE is the other 2nd-gen w-body to get the 3100, this was thru 2003.

... I've got nothing

Yes, but obviously, not exclusively, when you see the quality surveys they usually dont' break down the car's by trim package, just by name.

what quality surveys, consumer reports?

Many, actually the 2003 Century kicked everyone's ass in 3-year initial quality, I'm trying to remember who's survey that was, and it was beating out Camry's, Accord's, etc.

Technically they never changed them, it was a difference between the coupe and the sedan. All sedans through to 96 got the amber on top and red on bottom, all coupes got the red on top amber on bottom. Now, se coupes at one point, I`m not sure when, got red on top and amber on bottom but no cross hatching, I`m not sure when that was...

They're out there, you have to look and it's not just idiots customizing the Grand Prix's I just had a look at my 1992 Pontiac book it appears to definitely feature one Grand Prix sedan with the lights as you've described (it was a GT) and the second (the LE) had the red on top. I think that it had something to do with the red bar int he middle (they didn't start that way) and like they've done with changing the 2001 SE GP from ant-eater to nice-looking, I think that they just eventually changed all trim levels.

What I don't know is when or why. Jay . . . . . . help, no, not VIN#'s this time. Other stuff.

Not entirely true! I've seen numerous dingy looking white Grand Prix sedans in my times with steel wheels driven by white trash that have red top/amber bottom rear lights. I believe this was '90 only, besides STEs. I really want to say I've seen this style on a larger assortment of sedans but I can't be sure.

I think any coupe without B4U got the non-crosshatched lights.

Only the 01-03 Grand Prix SE's had body color front lower fascias painted body color, any GT or GTP you see with that has been repainted/wrecked and repaired.

Unless the GT or GTP in question is an '02 40th Anniversary, or an '03 Limited Edition. :wink:

As far as the Z's go, 2.8 Camaro's suck shit, they are gutless as hell and make better boat anchors. Z71, 7.1 liter = 433.268 583 07 cubic inches, so the closest thing for GM would be a 427, I'd rock the shit out of a Silverado with a Stingray 427 in it. :lol: The 3rd gen Z24 cav's do have a 2.4, but the originals had the 2.8, then 3.1.

sometime... try putting your car in park while on the parkway. do this during rush hour, and watch the hilarity ensue!

That's like the joke about Ole, he bought a new Caddilac with one of those fancy new automatic transmissions he'd never used before, he gets on the freeway and the guy in the other lane is taunting him to race, so he throws it in "R" for race.

3.4 motor was also available in the 97 monte carlo z34, that was the last year for it before they switched it over to a 3.8 in 1998.

The tail lights, with the non-hatched were both in the 2dr and 4dr model year leading up till 1994. depending on the trim package, you could get the hatched or non. some of the 4 doors had the yellow on top and the red on bottom, while ALL 2dr had red top, yellow bottom.

i got a set of nonhatched tails off of a 4dr gp, not a two door, but i have seen them on both.

hope it helps! and the rest, well, i dont remember, i havent looked into the newer GPs, because i cant afford them.

and also, for insurance reasons, it is better to have a 97 or older GP than a Z34 Lumina if you are with state farm, because untill 1998, they dont have an option for a "GTP" package. kinda funny if you ask me. They do have one for the Z34 lumina, with an increased rate.

That's like the joke about Ole' date=' he bought a new Caddilac with one of those fancy new automatic transmissions he'd never used before, he gets on the freeway and the guy in the other lane is taunting him to race, so he throws it in "R" for race.

[/quote'] :bonk: Man I lol'ed at that one! :lol:

i got one. Why did gm put the wiring harness in the dash for a power trunk but didn't run it to the trunk. Damn, GM now i got to run more wire through the poor car.

i got one. Why did gm put the wiring harness in the dash for a power trunk but didn't run it to the trunk. Damn, GM now i got to run more wire through the poor car.

If you had a '95+ all you need is the button and then find the wire inside the trunk lid for the solenoid. Easy as sheeeit.

If you had a '95+ all you need is the button and then find the wire inside the trunk lid for the solenoid. Easy as sheeeit.

i got stuck with a 94 and the darn wire is in the dash and not the trunk

and also, for insurance reasons, it is better to have a 97 or older GP than a Z34 Lumina if you are with state farm, because untill 1998, they dont have an option for a "GTP" package. kinda funny if you ask me. They do have one for the Z34 lumina, with an increased rate.

Ok, sorry this is off topic but I find it amusing and had to tell... Ok, up till now I've had a 1992 Chevy Corsica LT V6, then my 93 Bonneville SSEi and now my 89 TGP...so guess which one costed the most on insurance? THE CORSICA!!! It went down with the Bonneville and then even further down with the Turbo! Actually I can't remember if the TGP's the cheapest or if the SSEi was...but either way i know the Corsica was the most! Ha! It's like playin' the system without even knowing!!

Here goes:

The GTP emblem has "Grand Prix" right in it!

As stated before, the "Z28" is an RPO code, just like B4U, WS6, J65, G80, GT4, and has nothing to do with engine size exept for the 3.4 in the Z34.

Yes, the 7-band EQ CD player was an option for the 94-96 GP.

Leon