Need AC Help

AWeb80

I've had the GP a few months shy of 9 yrs....in that time I've NEVER touched the AC.

Well, finally last summer, it was starting to get weaker, but worked fine after a few mins on HIGH....now this summer, it is not cold at all....maybe 80* at best.

I'm going to assume my AC system is still in good condition and that it needs a recharge.....does this sound correct?

How do I go about recharging the system? A local shop wants $80 just to look at it....screw that if I can do it myself......

If you lived near me I'd say bring it by my shop and I'd do it for free.

Honestly though if the compressor still cycles, etc then I'm sure the system is fine. You could try adding a can or two of those do-it-yourself type AC recharge kits. Comes with the pressure guage set and some cans of R-134a. It's fairly easy to do it.

However, I'd prefer to use a proper recovery machine and then use the same machine to charge the system again. It puts the exact correct amount of both oil and r-134a in the system. Plus it can leak check the system before recharging it to pinpoint leaks.

I'm sure one of your hoses is probably leaking a bit over winter or something.

The R-12 system in my 1990 Lumina still works 100% It's super cold.

how much is a recharge kit?

$30?

I'll just recharge it as I don't use the AC at all save for 3-4 months out of the year....and even then, that is only driven 2-3 times a month.....

what I do: take it for what its worth. I'll buy a can of the 134a with UV dye in it, cycle that into the car, find out where it leaks, fix that. refill.

IF it leaked out, it HAS to be leaking from someplace.

I don't know about the 3100 cars, but on my car the valve is right near the accumulator (silver cylinder thing) that is right beneath the airbox. chances are the valve you are thinking of is the right one.

make sure you pickup the little UV penlight too, just a ultraviolent LED. run it for a little while and see where the leak is. If i were to bet I'd say the condenser is leaking.