Reminder to all W-Body Car owners!

Leckenz34

Just a reminder to all W-Body Owners, and especially those of us who have the older versions. Lubricate the moving parts in your car!! Door hinges, door latches, trunk latches, hood hinges etc. This will help with diminishing frustration down the road, as this could have helped me, i woke up on Monday morning to go to work and my door latch was seized, I wasn't very impressed.

Also, which type of lube does everyone prefer for this type of application??

I prefer Releasall, i find it works excellent! and its non toxic, so when i accidentally spray myself in the face with it, i wont go blind :biggrin:

Noobs shouldnt be posting advice, now go spray yourself in the face some more with solvent so you'll remember that next time.

:lol2:

I use white lithium grease.

Noobs shouldnt be posting advice, now go spray yourself in the face some more with solvent so you'll remember that next time.

I may be new to this forum my friend, but not new to cars.

I may be new to this forum my friend, but not new to cars.

do mind him he does the same stuff to me he like to pwn us newbs anychance he can get

and its non toxic, so when i accidentally spray myself in the face with it, i wont go blind :biggrin:

That is really funny. Whether anyone wants to admit it, we've all been there before :lol:

I try to do the door hinges every winter, and sure enough the winter I didn't my passenger got frozen open. It was pretty scary when one of my friends almost fell out of the car!

Don't mind him... new people are treated like shit on this forum... just the way it works, nothing gets done about it. They assume every new guy is someone that has been banned in the past. Once you get up to 300 posts or so they will shut up, unless you do something incredibly stupid. In that case I wouldn't mention it here... In fact, I have over 1700 posts and if I do something stupid, or have a stupid question, I still keep it to myself around here...

Welcome to w-body.com!

And I use a bicycle chain lube for my door hinges, made by Finish Line

Jamie

WD40 will work temporarily, but you really need something that will adhere better like white lithium grease, silicone grease, etc.

OMG LOL.

I usually do all that stuff at least once a month or when I do an oil change.

I went to town on my Cutlass the other day with white lithium. Alas, 'tis too late for my driver's door. The position-holder-linkage-thingy is already way out of round and makes a nice 1-2 pop when opening and closing the door all the way. So it goes :shrug: that's one thing I'm way too lazy to fix unless it actually causes trouble.

WD-40 isn't really a lubricant, it's only a water displacer.. :willynilly: It'll help for a little while, but once it dries it's not really doing much good.

This sounds highly toxic and unlikely to be sold anywhere legally, but do they make a white litium spray? I find the actually door hinges are too tight to get the tube stuff on.

Just a reminder to all W-Body Owners, and especially those of us who have the older versions. Lubricate the moving parts in your car!! Door hinges, door latches, trunk latches, hood hinges etc. This will help with diminishing frustration down the road, as this could have helped me, i woke up on Monday morning to go to work and my door latch was seized, I wasn't very impressed.

Also, which type of lube does everyone prefer for this type of application??

I prefer Releasall, i find it works excellent! and its non toxic, so when i accidentally spray myself in the face with it, i wont go blind :biggrin:

:lol: I wouldnt be either.

I went to town on my Cutlass the other day with white lithium. Alas, 'tis too late for my driver's door. The position-holder-linkage-thingy is already way out of round and makes a nice 1-2 pop when opening and closing the door all the way. So it goes :shrug: that's one thing I'm way too lazy to fix unless it actually causes trouble.

WD-40 isn't really a lubricant, it's only a water displacer.. :willynilly: It'll help for a little while, but once it dries it's not really doing much good.

This sounds highly toxic and unlikely to be sold anywhere legally, but do they make a white litium spray? I find the actually door hinges are too tight to get the tube stuff on.

Yeah. It's manufactured by CMC if I'm not mistaken, at least the can I have is.

You can buy it at Oreillys, and I've seen it at hardware stores too. Comes in an aerosol can.

White lithium grease all the way... doesn't harm rubber or latex... so you can use it with condoms as well. :willynilly:

:eek: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm coming from experience I presume :question: