MYSTERIOUS OIL LEAK!

topless94style

I got it and i dont know how to fix it. It has all the symptoms like its come from the intake manifold underneath the throttle body. A small but steady stream of oil leaks down towards the back of the engine and all over the driveway. Dumps a lot of freakin oil. Could a person like me who id say has adiquit knowledge of cars with minimal experience workin on them pull of this job or should i spend the $$$ and take it in? I got a chilton manual where would it say how to fix it in there?

Its more than like the oil pump drive o-ring. All you have to do to change it is take off the TB, take the 13mm (I think) bolt off the thing that holds the drive down (its that silver circle thing on the block next to the bell housing under the TB), then pull the drive assembly out, take off the old o-ring (its going to be VERY brittle, mine felt like metal), and put a new one in, and you're good to go

Robby

Robby maybe I'm wrong but he's got a DOHC, I think there is a little more to it than that otherwise I would have done it by now :lol:

Mine does the same thing probly dumps a 2-3 quarts a month which is a huge driveway mess. I figure fuck it oil is cheaper than labor on that mess of an engine and I don't really wanna mess around with grinding the head or whatever.

Robby maybe I'm wrong but he's got a DOHC, I think there is a little more to it than that otherwise I would have done it by now :lol:

Ha! I just now saw that in his sig. So, sorry topless94style, disregard what I said before. Man, Im retarded

Robby

wow i didnt realize it was that hard of a job to fix from the way u guys make it sound. Yea oil does sound a hell of a lot cheaper. thanks guys and if anyone knows how to fix it can ya tell me so i atleast know how much work it really is so i dont go and do something stupid.

I'm by no means an authority on this but the "right way" to do it is pull the rear head and then just do what robby said. Your chiltons should be able to help you but it is a very involved procedure. A small piece of the head stick over the dist. plug on the DOHC and their is not enough clearance to lift out the plug and replace the o-ring. Some people grind this off and then remove the plug but it has caused problems before I believe. Others clean it throughly and JB Weld over the existing O-ring and hope it holds, some slip a ring off of a maglite flashlight (Largest one I think) over the plug and supposedly it works and some do both the Maglite ring and JB weld. Theres tons of ways to do it but they all seem to risky for my minimal mechanical skill and my pocketbook :lol: . Use the search function too there are tons of posts about this.

Here's what I did to my wife's LQ-1: Pulled the 2 intakes off, cleaned the entire area thoroughly with Brakleen. Cut a small notch in the edge of the plug so it can be pulled up about 1/8 inch or so. Then took an old smallblock Chevy distributor gasket, sliced it so I could snake it on there. Got ahold of some good High-Temp silicone sealer, smeared it thouroughly all over the gasket before snaking it on there. Turn the plug to ensure complete sealing. Tighten down the hold-down bolt. Allow to sit for 24 hours to cure thoroughly.

Put everything back together, voila! Leak free. Did this a few months ago, haven't seen a drop of oil since.

Helluva lot easier than pulling that rear head, for sure!

Notching the head won't let you get it all the way out, it just lets you lift it up higher. No point to notch the head if you can't get it all the way out.

What I did was super simple, and worked like a charm! I had to change my intake gaskets anyway, so I pulled the 2 intakes. Then I bought a 1/16" thick O-ring, I think it was 1" or 1-1/4" diameter... not too sure on that, but it was about the diameter of the oil pump drive shaft. Next I removed the clamp of the drive and that let it lift up about 3/16" or so. I cleaned the entire area very well with lacquer thinner. Then I slipped that O-ring over the head of the drive. For extra sealing power, I squished some black RTV underneath the head of the drive and pushed it down as far as it would go. Then I let it cure 24hrs and reinstalled the clamp. After reassembling the car, I checked for leaks. Worked great!

Shawn, I didn't notch the head. I notched the top of the plug then turned the plug so the notch fit where the head overhangs in order to get the extra clearance.

I'm sure that your way works out fine also. Either way, easier than pulling the head for sure.