Cutlass Supr. Stereo questions

Pselus

sorry if this is somewhere but I can't find it posted already.

I'm going to be installing a cd-player in my Cutlass Supreme and I also have a set of 3" Infiniti Kappa's that I want in the dashboard. I can't quite figure out how to get the dash off...it was a piece of cake in my old car (just popped off) but this dash looks like it's one huge peice. I know it's not but can't figure out where it detatches....could anyone provide me with some links or something to explain how it comes apart?

also, someone told me this car had a 6 speaker system....are there speakers in the door? all I can find are the dash speakers and the side speakers in the rear....

:shrugs:

my cutlass has 6 speakers, 2 on front, 4 in rear, but then again... i made the speaker box myself to go in between my rear leather buckets i got from the junkyard, other than that, i think those are the only speakers i have, when i got it it only had 4, so im guessing you heard wrong?

my cutty has 6. 2 back 2 in doors and 2 in the dash

Same here.

My stock stereo (old Supreme SL coupe) had that same get-up.

In the doors, they should be near the lower door hinges...

...turn on your radio and follow that sound... you'll find them! :D

- Erik

3"? I hope you mean 4", because that's what fits in the dash.

First, you have to remove... oh, around 6 phillips screws from along the upper edge of the bezel. I forget how many exactly, but remove them all.

Then pull the bezel out. It's held on the bottom by clips.

You will then have to unplug the headlight (or foglight) connector from the switch. You possibly could leave it plugged in and remove the switch from the bezel, but I couldn't because some genius previous owner glued it in.

After that, you need to remove the glovebox storage compartment, the defroster vent, and the inner defroster vent. Then remove a whole bunch of 7mm screws:

- 2 on the horizontal surface inside the glove compartment.

- 2 inside the defroster area where those 2 notches are.

- 2 on either side of the bezel opening.

I'm going by memory, but I think that's all the screws. Then you need to pull the dash pad towards you and lift up.

Door speakers were common on '88s. They were available 88-94, but not very many 89-94's have them. If you have door speakers, you will have speaker grilles on the doors. No grilles, no speakers.