I need a compass in my vert.

kaptnjack

Donnelly i belive because here is another just like it

Now that might be the ticket. Map lights and compass, but no self dim to leak :biggrin: I'll have to be on the hunt for one of those.

Tom

Check most of the B-Body wagons of the 90s...Roadmonsters, Caprices, ect...I've found them in those.

this is probably going to sound quite funny but i replaced the mirror in my cutlass and it didnt have maplights i searched for a nice domelight setup and i found a nice perfect match to my interior domelamp and maplight assembly from a 1996 ford taurus. I wired it in to work just like factory. It worked very well and everyone that saw it said it must have been factory lol. When i changed my interior this year though i removed the setup though because i like a complete factory look so i put my dimming mirror back in and did away with the domelamp. I will post pics if i can find any. I also still have the taurus domelamp and it is still wired to plug right into the factory mirror harness :mrgreen:

Can anyone post pics of what the Intrigue one looks like all lit up and what it does specifically?

I don't have a pic of one lit up and working, but it looks identical to the one Matt posted, except it has 2 little sections of LED map lights on the bottom, and the buttons to make it work on either side of the single compass/self-dimming on-off button. I sold one to Shaun (99RegalGS), who said it was plug and play in his Gen II Regal when he tried one a long time ago, so maybe he'll get it plugged in and take a pic.

Donnelly i belive because here is another just like it

Now that might be the ticket. Map lights and compass, but no self dim to leak :biggrin: I'll have to be on the hunt for one of those.

Tom

Check most of the B-Body wagons of the 90s...Roadmonsters, Caprices, ect...I've found them in those.

Those mirrors are ONLY found in the Roadmasters and Caprices (wagon and sedans). The compass uses an old school backlight to shine down on the display and make the compass visible.

I meant to include this on my last post, but any mirror aside from the Intrigue GLS one should not draw any power after off. There are plenty of the other Gentex and Donnelly mirrors in non-BCM equipped cars, and they certainly don't drain their batteries. I'm wondering if the Intrigue one is different due to the LED map lights. Otherwise I don't see what would be causing the draw, or why. Why does anything need to be running on the mirror while the car is off?

see mine is similair to that but instead of the compass i have the dimmer. Mine was out of a 94 caprice and i never had any problem with battery drain problems. And now that i have another car it sits sometimes

I meant to include this on my last post, but any mirror aside from the Intrigue GLS one should not draw any power after off. There are plenty of the other Gentex and Donnelly mirrors in non-BCM equipped cars, and they certainly don't drain their batteries. I'm wondering if the Intrigue one is different due to the LED map lights. Otherwise I don't see what would be causing the draw, or why. Why does anything need to be running on the mirror while the car is off?

The Intrigue mirrors are weird. ALL their circuitry is still running when the car is off. It only uses the ignition input to blank or light up the compass display and disable the auto-dim, but even the filaments for the display are still powered. The filament is by far the largest reason for the power consumption when off. In one of my Intrigue mirrors, I took a tiny relay and cut power to the filament when the ignition is off. That greatly reduced the parasitic power drain, but turns out the microcontroller and all other circuits are still live as well, so there is still enough parasitic drain to discharge a battery in about 1-1/2 to 2-weeks. The reason they keep the microcontroller powered is so the map lights work up until the BCM cuts all power to the mirror. With the LED maplights, Gentex got fancy and instead of using mechanical switches, they use momentary switches that tell the microprocessor to toggle the lights on or off. Even then, the reason the mirror lacks a low-power standby mode is a mystery.

There are 2 designs of Gentex lighted mirrors for Intrigue, both electrically the same. One has a slimmer body and the LED lights are in pods that bulge out the back, and one has a thicker body with a smooth back.