I need a compass in my vert.

kaptnjack

I have been driving bonneville sse's for 15 years and I am hooked on the onboard compass. I like backroads and lost lanes and a compass sometimes helps me find my way back to civilization.

Anyway...I have been using the search function and read several pages of posts about mirror swaps and DIC's.

Anyone have a final resolution for the best prospect to add a compass function to my 93 CS vert?

J/Y's will be my parts farm so any specific info on models or types will be a big plus.

Picture003-8.jpg

What I put in my car since Cutlasses did not come with a compass of any sort. Plus the auto-dimming mirror is really nice on night drives with the top down...

Thanks Manic.

What did that piece come out of?

Does it have the courtesy lights too?

Auto dimming and temp are secondary to me...the compass and map light is the priority.

I have this Gentex mirror if you're interested in it.

IMG_2178.jpg

Auto dimming with compass, but no maplights.

PM me for more details.

Thanks for the reply Got2b

I think if I change I would like to retain the map lights.

I think a mirrror from a 91-93 seville has the compass and lights based on limited research. I am going to continue my research for now and try a JY run sometime in the future to see what I can dig up.

The ones from Intrigues have LED map lights, but consume around 200mA at all times. Very bad if you ever leave the car sitting for over a week or so.

Intrigue's BCM shuts down power to the mirror after something like 10-minutes so they don't have that problem.

Donnelly used to make a autodim compass mirror with map lights, but the compass is green, not aqua. I have one and 1/3 of the autodimming liquid leaked out. :(

Do you guys think or know if all compass mirrors are going to have the battery drain issue when retrofitted to our verts?

The cadillac seville R/V has map lights and compass...dont know about color of display.

The aqua/blue display would be really nice...any clues as to what models used the blue?

• 4 months later...

All the Gentex mirrors have the aqua display. What year Sevilles come with map lights and compass?

I'd be interested to know the answer to that too. I like having the map lights also. Got one from an Intrigue, but haven't installed it because of the power drain issue.

Tom

The ones from Intrigues have LED map lights, but consume around 200mA at all times. Very bad if you ever leave the car sitting for over a week or so.

Intrigue's BCM shuts down power to the mirror after something like 10-minutes so they don't have that problem.

how would that matter in a cutlass. after like ten minutes the power cuts off in them too

how would that matter in a cutlass. after like ten minutes the power cuts off in them too

To install the Intrigue mirror, or not to install?? That is the question. Wish this power drain issue in the CS would be resolved once and for all. :willynilly:

Tom

you are correct, but that is only with to regards if you leave the door open with interior lights on.

I suggest wiring up the mirror map lights so that they are on circuit that only recieves power with the car on, so you can only turn the lights on when the car is running.

(that mirror will cause a battery drain)

there is a way to hook up a RAP and the mirror could hook up to that but i have yet to figure out how to do this. Or just leave the constant wire disconnected and just use the maplights for the domelight

there is a way to hook up a RAP and the mirror could hook up to that but i have yet to figure out how to do this. Or just leave the constant wire disconnected and just use the maplights for the domelight

If you, or anyone else can figure that out, please post. It's a really cool mirror, and I'd like to install it. My reason for the map lights working as the stock ones do is for the added entry and exit lighting when the door is opened.

Tom

Need to clarify a few things....

The only compass auto-dimming Gentex mirrors to get map lights (until very recently) were the ones used in the Olds Intrigue GLS. There are some much newer, much more expensive vehicles to get a dual display compass/temp auto dimming Gentex mirror with map lights, like the Land Rovers, but that's it for Gentex. I'm not sure which Cadillac mirrors are being referred to, but I have yet to see or hear of one with map lights. This was not a common feature on Gentex mirrors because they mostly worked with GM up until recent years, and most higher end trim level cars that got these mirrors already had dome lights overhead.

Donnelly, on the other hand, offered quite a few mirrors with map lights. Anything from just self-dimming (used in many early Gen II w-bodies), to self-dimming plus compass and temp. However, as Shawn found out the hard way, the Donnellys have a nasty tendency to leak the fluid out as they get old and fail. I've never heard of a Gentex failing, and certainly not leaking (not positive, but I don't think they even use the fluid method). Secondly, while this is a matter of taste, I've always found the Donnelly mirrors to be quite hideous by comparison. They're more egg shaped, and it gets worse on the ones with compass/temp, because the screen for them is UNDER the mirror 90% of the time. I've only seen a handful where it's IN the mirror, like Gentex.

As for the issue with the Intrigue GLS mirrors, I still don't understand how/why it can draw power if a +12V source that only comes on with ignition is used. Or what about wiring a BCM into the car? I don't know much about how the BCMs work, so that may not be a viable solution.

Nope. Most of those got OnStar mirrors, with possibly compass/temp, depending on the overhead console and year. They didn't get map lights because they usually already had a fancy overhead console with dome lights.

As for the issue with the Intrigue GLS mirrors, I still don't understand how/why it can draw power if a +12V source that only comes on with ignition is used.  Or what about wiring a BCM into the car?  I don't know much about how the BCMs work, so that may not be a viable solution.

IF you wire it in so it is only on with the ignition (maybe tie it to the radio circuit) it will not draw power. the probelm as i understand it is that the mirror even when off draws some power, but as used in the Intrigue the BCM cuts power to it after 5 minutes.

I want to say yes.

As for the issue with the Intrigue GLS mirrors, I still don't understand how/why it can draw power if a +12V source that only comes on with ignition is used.  Or what about wiring a BCM into the car?  I don't know much about how the BCMs work, so that may not be a viable solution.

IF you wire it in so it is only on with the ignition (maybe tie it to the radio circuit) it will not draw power.  the probelm as i understand it is that the mirror even when off draws some power, but as used in the Intrigue the BCM cuts power to it after 5 minutes.

I want to say yes.

That doesn't look bad. Any idea what brand?

Tom