FFP chip install

93Luminanewb

I know I'm gonna sound like a complete newb (which I am, but still), but where do I put the FFP chip in at? I just got it in the mail and I'm all excited and I'm putting it in after work, but I'm not entirely sure where it goes :oops: . If someone could tell me, that would be great. Thanks :D

Guest Anonymous

Put it in your ashtray. Just kidding... :lol:

Open your hood. Go to the passenger side. You'll either have the coolant resorvoir or a black plastic panel on the wheelwell. Whichever it is, take it out. Under that is your computer. I suggest unhooking your battery before doing anything else. Now, turn the computer over and there is a small panel screwed to the side. Take that off. Now you'll see your chip. Push the tabs on the ends of the chip out and it will lift up. When it's out put the FFP chip in and press it in firmly on the ends. When both sides click, you're done. Put everything back together, hook up the battery and do an idle relearn. Enjoy...

Bah F u guys...

I thought it went in the trunk somewhere :?

Nah I'm jk, and i take back that FU part :D . I knew it connected to the ECM, I just didnt know where, thanks for the help redturbo.

I'm located in the north-eastern part, about 30 miles away from New Jersey, and 30 miles away from any major towns (Easton, Allentown, and the like). Where are you located?

your state is too damn big

Yes it is, it really is.

I got the chip in yesterday after work. I am amazed. There's such a difference, a lot more torque and top end power, it's awesome. It sucked though, a few hours after I got the chip in, the alternator goes out on me for no reason while I'm taking my girlfriend out. I fixed it in under a half hour this morning (I'm proud of that, I happened to have another one lying around tho) and everything seems dandy. That pisses me off, everytime I do something good to my car to make it better, something bad happens to it during the same day. When I fixed the big dent in my door, I got a dent on the fender a few hours later. Anyway, enough ranting. The chip is great, I'm very happy with it. Next is the UD Pulley :D .

I fixed it in under a half hour this morning (I'm proud of that, I happened to have another one lying around tho)

bullshit, ive done mine 4 times and still my best is only 3.5 hours. there is absolutely no way. An ASE certified GM Tech's time is 4 hours and 18 minutes. a half hour is utterly impossible unless the motor is out of the car.

An ASE certified GM Tech's time is 4 hours and 18 minutes.

thats the estimated time!!

it does not allways take that long!!

the alternator goes out on me for no reason while I'm taking my girlfriend out. I fixed it in under a half hour this morning (I'm proud of that, I happened to have another one lying around tho)

and i am not saying that he did it in that time!!!

An ASE certified GM Tech's time is 4 hours and 18 minutes.

thats the estimated time!!

it does not allways take that long!!

that's correct, infact, a lot of places are paid per job they do, so the faster they get it done, the more they get paid

except, GM procedure is to remove the side of the engine compartment or something, my bros 91 GP LE (3.1L MPFI) had to go through that... although, off hand, I can't remember if his alt was up high or down low...

Aaron, I can change my alternator in 2 hours from start to finish. It isn't that fucking hard, tire off, drop the a-arm, pull the driveshaft then bam, there it is. Once you have mastered taking the a-arm off fast ( losen the bolts then knock the ball joint out, you can get to that damn hard bolt off easy as hell), and you get lucky w/ the big bolt on the alt when putting it in, its easy. Just have all the right tools, and don't be you, its easy. :D