VATS keys

GPX

I had the occasional no-start problem that folks here on the forum attributed to a problem with my VATS key. I believe that was my problem and I have purchased replacement keys, had them cut, and they all work great and no no-starts since then. It hasn't been all that long, but I have a feeling that the problem is now solved.

It was suggested that I try to buy replacement keys on eBay for about $10 per key. Well, you can find them on eBay, but I think there's a better way to go. If you go to this link http://www.mysecuritypro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=434 you will not only find reasonably priced keys, but also the instructions you need to figure out which "value" of key you need to order. So instead of paying $10 on eBay, I got three keys delivered to my house in one day for $25.50! Shipping was only $2.99. They are "made in USA" ILCO keys that I think were less than a buck to get cut at the hardware store. It was fun handing my key to the guy who I think was going to gleefully turn me away because of the VATS chip and then I gave him my baggie of blanks and he said , "oh." I had him make one, I tried it, then had him make up the rest.

FYI: My key measured 2.96Kohms--the closest nominal resistance on the chart was 3.010K. When I got the actual keys, they measured 2.99K. As I said, they work fine.

You don't have locksmiths there that can cut a VATS key with your correct resistor value??

There is a locksmith in town. His name is Daniel Boone, and yes he is related! There's no way I would have walked out of his house (yes, his house--he doesn't have a shop), or any dealerships that are almost a half hour away, with three keys for less than thirty dollars. The hardware stores (2) and dime-store have a little rack of keys, no multi-meter, and a big desire to tell you that they can't help you with that key! You and your fancy frickin' Cadillac or whatever you must be driving with that uppity key!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Good to know. Do they cut this key on the same machine as the non VAT style key?

WHITE93Z34 has a good story about his VAT extravaganza.

EDIT: Does that site sell OEM GM blanks?

Good to know. Do they cut this key on the same machine as the non VAT style key?

EDIT: Does that site sell OEM GM blanks?

Yes, the key is cut on the same machine. No, the keys are Ilco brand (what your hardware store probably sells), but they look just like the GM key.

Do they sell and OEM GM blanks is what I'm asking?

Do they sell the Ilco blank and an OEM GM blank? It doesn't look like it.

If it matters that much, you can pay they dealer $20 extra for each key so they say GM on them. :rolleyes:

You don't have locksmiths there that can cut a VATS key with your correct resistor value??

There is a locksmith in town. His name is Daniel Boone, and yes he is related! There's no way I would have walked out of his house (yes, his house--he doesn't have a shop), or any dealerships that are almost a half hour away, with three keys for less than thirty dollars. The hardware stores (2) and dime-store have a little rack of keys, no multi-meter, and a big desire to tell you that they can't help you with that key! You and your fancy frickin' Cadillac or whatever you must be driving with that uppity key!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

:lol: That's nuts!!

I'm just curious. No need for the eye rolling.

I would buy them on ebay then. Personally I like OEM stuff thats all.

Sorry about the eye rolling. I don't think that's really the emoticon I wanted, but I wanted something there. Shit--even the wrong emoticon can get you into trouble! :lol:

Anyway, just be sure that what you're getting on eBay is OEM. I was under the impression that the key I paid $7 for was the same one (Ilco) they wanted $10 plus shipping for on eBay.

I do??? which story?

I got one cut about 6 months ago for my Bonneville $17 at the dealer.

I do??? which story?

I got one cut about 6 months ago for my Bonneville $17 at the dealer.

:bonk: Tell us another one!

Seriously, I went and searched around for 93Z's VATS thread and I couldn't find one, so I have to back him up on that one!

Why not just bypass the VATS system altogether? All it costs is the cost of one resistor!

Then someone will steal my car! Won't they? :lol:

okokok I remember that VATS story now well if you can call it that.

well I needed a copy of a VATS key made,every where I went no one would cut it, well a bout a month after I paid $17 at a dealer to cut one for me. I was at a flea market and this lil old guy advertises that he can copy VATS keys. go figgure. the end.