Mileage for 3.1L?

cardboard

Hey, I have a 1990 GP, with the 3.1L engine and it seems like it burns tons of gas! im having to refuel way too often, lol. but I dont know whether this is normal or not. I get around 400km/tank of gas. Is this a reasonable amount? or is it low. If it is low, what could be the cause of this? I have recently changed the cat, muffler, and spark plugs.

Thanks!

well it Depends on how you Drive and where you Drive.

I had a 91 Cutlass 3.1L 4spd Auto OD

and I could get 300 miles City and 450-500 Hwy if I was Driving it nice. But Since I Delivered Pizzas at that time and my car was Idleing all the time I would get 250/tank but my car would be on for 4-6 hours a day....

a friend of mine has a 92 lumina that gets 400 miles to a tank easy with a 3.1 AUTO OD even when he Rods on it, it only goes to 350miles per tank...but never less....and on Trips at 80MPH it would get 35-40mpg

My STE is a Hog, mainly because I Drive her Hard and I have two going coil packs....Im lucky to get 200-250 out of a Tank combo driveing city/hwy and I pay $1.70/gal of gas for it..91 octain nonoxygenated

so thats why im always Broke...LOL

unless IM going someplace far away in the STE then I get Great milage...even better then the Cutlass....I have taken her on a Long interstate Drive and I did not have to Fuel until 620miles on a tank...

damn thing gets 40-48MPG at 80 MPH..{depends on the amount of hills}

..with the Rpms sitting at 2400-2500 (with the cruise set) and at 65 it sits at 1800-2000 And I know im Running 3.33 gears in the front.

with bad milage, (does your acceloration seem to lag too??)

New PLugs/wires and Fuel Filter

pull one of your Front wires while its Running hold it against a bolt on the motor and look for a nice BLUE spark if its orange or yellow your coil may be going...do this for each of the Front plugs and that will let you know if you have any or all of your coils going.

add Seafoam additive to 2 tanks and go from 87 octaine to 90

and change the plugs and wires. atleast its easy and a CHeap fix to start with.

whoa....I'm driving the 3.4 and I'm getting almost the same numbers Jeorge is....delivering pizza I get 250 miles to the tank....but on highway trips I get 500 miles per tank.....how is that possible with the bigger engine?

whoa....I'm driving the 3.4 and I'm getting almost the same numbers Jeorge is....delivering pizza I get 250 miles to the tank....but on highway trips I get 500 miles per tank.....how is that possible with the bigger engine?

because the 3.4 L is supost to be more efficient then the 3.1L Pushrod...how ever most people never see the good milage because the 3.4 only seems to have power at High RPMs.....

My Friend in his 95 Z34 only gets 200-220 on a tank...but intown his car is at 4K+ constaintly.

Granted his 3.4 monte pulls on my STE untill I hit 3K+ then Im pulling on him. and at 60-100+MPH I pass him like hes accelorating alot slower then me...it takes my STE alittle to get going being I have 2 bad coil packs Right now but when I had good ones, I would Kick his but everytime from a stop or a rolling go at it...so with 4 weak cylenders I can Still pull at him when on the Hwy....MUHAHAHA.....and now he wants to get rid of it he wants a 97 Z34 with a 3.4L and a 97 Lumina LTZ 3.4L..I have a Feeling I will still pull on him..but now today or tomarrow im putting in my new coils..

Now all I need to do is Finish a motor build for the STE...

but im still waiting on a good 3.1L {V} block...

yeah I've noticed the 3.4 doesn't really have power until about 3400rpms (odd coincidence huh?).....but it's still a fun fast car to drive. I just got this car a month ago and used to own a Dodge Avenger 4-cyl, 5-speed. Want a 5-speed in this car bad but it still feels like a sports car compared to the Avenger.

you have a nice looking Cutty I have been thinking of getting a Cutty convertible but I want a burgandy STE turbo too bad.....weird eh get one and now I want more...LOL

if I was to get a Cutty convrt.

it would have to have white Leather...

and either be Bright metalic blue, bright red, teal or white.

but the money I have saved now is going into my STE unless I find a Burgandy STE to buy...

thanks....it's brand new to me...got it a month ago.

it doesn't look that pretty everyday (like I can only get the roof cover on if I have 2 ppl) but it is still la pretty car.

If the bigger engine flows better than the littler engine it can under the right circumstances get better gas mileage. For instance, if a 3.4 has new plugs, wires, and has a better than stock flowing intake or exhaust it will almost definately get better gas mileage than a 3.1 or 2.8 with 100k on the plugs & wires, with the stock intake and exhaust.

I.E. When our GTP was stock, it got about 26mpg on the freeway. Then we started modding it and opened the intake way up with a really good CAI, a ported TB, ported supercharger, and ported intake manifold. We also let the engine breathe better by installing 1.9 rockers, and we put on headers, high-flow cat, and borla exhaust. So the intake flows really well, the exhaust flows really well, and the engine itself flows better than it did stock. Besides the fact that now the car has a different computer with different fuel tables, and has new spark plugs and wires. Now the car gets 35mpg on the freeway. So even though the car has 160hp more than it did stock, it gets 9mpg BETTER gas mileage on the freeway. City gas mileage is another story though.