Painted my nuts in the woods for Father's Day

GPX

We have a budding tradition of camping on Father's Day weekend. This year was no exception. I had painted the "lug nuts" on the passenger side and was eager to get the driver's side ones done, so I brought them (and all the supplies) along into the woods. We primitive camp and there were all of three other parties in the campground, so I was confident I wouldn't bother anyone. First I sanded all the loose paint off the sides and feathered-in what was still stuck on with 220 grit. Then I found a secluded place in this fairyland, laid out my newspaper, and set up the caps.

fairyland.jpg

Then two quick, light coats of Rustoleum Painter's Touch primer, then a wet coat, then wait to dull over (5 minutes ?).

primer.jpg

I wanted to make them look as real as possible, and I had used a Testor's "chrome" enamel a few years ago that I was very impressed with, so I decided to give it a try. It comes out of the can very fast, so you have to keep your distance to avoid sags. One nice thing is that it dries VERY fast for an enamel. I did one quick, light coat...

1stcoatchrome.jpg

...and then I only dared one more "wetter" coat, and then the realization that now I had all this wet paint in the middle of the woods. So I let it sit and went back to camp and giggled about someone finding it in the hour that I patiently waited for it to dry to the touch.

wetcoatchrome.jpg

Unfortunately my camera is not good with close-ups, so you can't really see what they look like. But there must have been a little reaction between the primer and the chrome topcoat which caused a little orange peeling which I think makes them look more like real lug nuts.

closeupchrome.jpg

I'll get on-wheel pictures and try to get a better close-up if there's interest.

Oh, and Happy Father's Day to all you other dads. Hope you had a good one. I obviously did! :lol: