Dumb Q: Will rotating the engine (3.1) help with swapping out the motor mount?

sonick

I can't see clearly exactly how the engine interacts with the mount, interacts with the frame, due to all the sludge in the area stuck to the hydraulic goo from my exploded motor mount (there were actually peices of sludge-soaked shredded rubber that I pulled out from under there)

When you rotate the engine (3.1 MPFI), will the motor mount stay with the frame, or stay with the engine (i.e. is it bolted to the frame, or to the engine?) I'm thinking if the engine rotates, the mount has got to be bolted onto one or the other.

However, since I've heard nobody rotating the engine to swap their motor mounts, I'm sure there's a reason why it's not possible, but just thought I'd check.

Also, relating to replacing the mount, the manual says to "Remove the transaxle mounting nuts"; which exactly are these? Here is the picture, it would be helpful if somebody pointed out which number these nuts are:

0900c15280067d69.gif

Thanks!

You do not need to rotate your engine to replace your lower motor mount. Just unbolt it from underneath the car and jack up on the oil pan. Make sure you have a 2x4 between the jack and your oil pan so you dont puncture the oil pan.

You do not need to rotate your engine to replace your lower motor mount. Just unbolt it from underneath the car and jack up on the oil pan. Make sure you have a 2x4 between the jack and your oil pan so you dont puncture the oil pan.

Sorry for all the questions, but would I have to remove the entire bracket to get the nut on the top of the mount come off (those are the ones I'm most concerned about)? Looking at it, it looks like there's barely any clearance to fit a wrench in there between the top of the mount and the bottom of the engine, unless I go out and buy an offset box-end wrench specifically for this single job.

This is my DD, so I'd like to have as few surprises as possible. I did the tranny mount with ease last weekend, but it looks as though the motor mount is a bit more involved.

Try reading this good write up by aweb80. It should help you with replacing the mount

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=68747.0

Yeah, I've read that thread and know the basic idea of replacing it (I've already done the tranny mount), but it looks like the bracket that holds the motor mount in on the 3100 is much simpler than the 3.1.

Don't rotate the engine. You will want to undo the passenger side dog bone and leave the driver side one.

On the 3.1 bracket there are two bolts you need to get laying under the car( besides the ones which hold the mount to the subframe). Basically look up by the Oil filter. They're somewhat accessible and stick out in the same direction as the oil filter.They're between 13mm and 15mm, I can't remember. Might take some muscle to break them loose. The other two or three on the bracket (can't remember how many) are all accessible by leaning over the passenger fender.

The hardest part for me was putting the new motor mount in correctly. It is shaped weird but somehow the two studs form a straight line. Just make sure you don't put the mount in backwards or the bolt stud will get stuck on power steering lines when you lower the engine.

Also watch out how high you jack the engine since it puts stress on the axles and a coolant line running along the passenger fender. I broke mine and had to replace it with rubber line.

Sorry, lots of words for a somewhat simple repair.

http://www.tgpforums.com/index.php?topic=4445.msg31006#msg31006

http://members.cox.net/subliminalexistence/images/computer/tste/DSCN0490%20(Small).JPG

the lower mount can be seen down in the bottom corner of the pic. What you want to do is remove the passenger side wheel, and with a 15mm boxed offset wrench, loosen the two nuts on the top of the mount. The are set in that black u-shaped bracket that wraps the bottom of the motor. Scrape some of the sludge away, you'll see them. (you can actually see one of them in this pic, off to the right: http://members.cox.net/subliminalexistence/images/ste/DSCN0626%20(Medium).JPG)

read the link I posted, should provide more detail. after you get the top nuts off, undo the other 2 on the bottom of the subframe and lift the mount up and out. It just sits in a support on the subframe. (can see what I mean here: http://members.cox.net/subliminalexistence/images/ste/DSCN0617%20(Medium).JPG)