switching from 5w-30 to 10w-40

Dannymik

My '95 cutty has 74,000 miles on it so I'm now switching my oil. They recommend 5W-30 and now I'm going to use a more thicker 10W-40. I changed it this afternoon using 2 quarts of Mobil Drive clean, 2 quarts of high mileage Valvoline and filled the rest with Semi synthetic Castrol(all 10W-40). It costed me with the fram sure grip filter a little over $12. Thats much better than the $25 when I used that bullshit(Castrol, Pennzoil, Havoline) full synthetic stuff. My question to all of you is if this is a wise decision since my cutty runs above 200 while driving and about 215-230 degrees at red lights. I might drop down to 10W-30 for the cold Buffalo winter months. What do you all think?

w-body.jpg

I use what's on the oil cap: running all season.

* old 1992 Cutlass LQ1 - (5W-30)

* 2001 Monte Carlo L36 - (10W-30)

Changing old brands and weights does promote oil consumption.

- Erik

I think you should be running 10w-30 in the summer months...and 5w-30 in the winter months...like the manual suggests :wink: Maybe switch to some high mileage oil now that it's getting up there in miles.

I've been running my LE like that since I've owned it, and have yet to have any oil problems what-so-ever. 122k and going strong! :D

122k...psh. yer still a baby yet! :D

I bought it with 70k on it less than 2 years ago... :wink:

im gunna try to beat you then....i baught mine @ 67k at the end of feb. i might hit ~100 by that time next yr

10W30 is better than 10W40.

Less viscosity improvers.

Also, Castrol semi-synthetic = 0% synthetic.

Just like all other Castrol products that say "synthetic" on them.