Looking for info on digital speedo 89 GP

meltboy1

The speedometer in the Prix is fine during the day but once you turn on the lights, you can't see it. I have been searchin for like 10 min now on info for fixing it, but due to the awsomeness of the search function I am coming up short.... :(

I had this issue along with my gauges not working unless i wiggled the wire connecting it. (I had the dash all taken apart at this point of course!)

I found that all of my problems were solved by taking the entire cluster out and tightening the screws holding the plug to the frame of the cluster.

You will know what I am talking about when you take it out and look at the bottom of it. :)

If the backlight for your controls aren't working, neither will the digital section of the cluster at night. It is on the same circuit as the backlights for your controls.

Yup, most likely the dimmer switch is going out... Maybe re-soldering the contacts on the dimmer will solve the issue..

speaking on the cluster itself right? I gota get a soldering gun, I don't have one...><

No.. the HUD Dimmer Assy / on /off switch Check there first, then if that is not it, the dimmer switch near the headlight sw. probably needs replacing. If you have a test light, that tool is useful for helping you narrow it down.

really, the problem is in the switch itself??... could I take the switch from my tgp and put it in there to test it out then, or would I have to get a switch out of an 89, there is one at the yard still I think I could get it from...

btw, this car doesn't have a HUD...yet

Sorry , I thought the GP having this problem was the TGP.. it is the SE? ? In that case I would be looking at the dimmer switch at the headlight switch pod... .. Probably need to replace it.

k, ya sorry, I shoulda specified... :P

it's the digital dash, so when I turn on the lights it's the numbers aren't bright anymore, I woulda thought that would have been a dash problem, not in the switch

everything else is normal brightness, it is just the digital that is dark, it has a DIC and it works great! lights and all.