Help no dash or DIC lights? broke again

meltboy1

Well I just got home and parked the TGP, and went to park the 89 GP in front of it, get in... start it up, turn on the lights, and I have no dash or DIC lights... what's the deal?

edit...

I should mention that also when I turn on the lights normally, the speedo is too dim to see, it's the digital speedo and everything else is analog.

ok a little more...

I just went to get some coffee, and the green for the directionals lights up, blue for high beams also works. I also noticed the buttons for the seats on the center console aren't lighting up either.

Well turned out it was the 5 AMP panel fuse... I put another in and it blew right away, and tried a second and that one held... maybe they were both just bad fuses? I did pull one spare out of the TGP which looked like it was an original extra 20 year old fuse... idk give it a few days and see if it holds.

Its either the old fuse you used, or there is a short somewhere. If a NEW fuse doesn't work, then its time to start pulling apart the dash.

It happened to me once. I was driving home at 4AM and all of a sudden all my lights go out. Freaked me out... was just the fuse, though. They are old, and they tend to blow easier.

idk this is the third fuse, I think I am ruling out bad fuses now... I am more concerned on a common place this may be occuring if it's happened to others.

grounds could be bad... theres hundreds of feet of wire to check! Have you altered anything in the car that might be the source of the problem?

no, there is a cell phone charger in my cigarette lighter socket... lol

Well there was an aftermarket deck installed in there... kinda crappily too from looking at it, I will start there tomorrow I suppose since I plan on swapping decks between this car and the TGP anyway.

The only thing electrically I modded was I added a second 12V supply socket which I wired into the accesory fuse, just tapped off the load side, and yes it is done right, and grounded it to where there was a screw going to the body under the dash somewhere. But that was 2 weeks ago, I have done nothing recently that I can think of that would have affected it.

theres a coin in your cigarette lighter socket

wrong circuit

Well there was an aftermarket deck installed in there... kinda crappily too from looking at it, I will start there tomorrow I suppose since I plan on swapping decks between this car and the TGP anyway.

sounds like the problem. someone else just had this problem. The dimmer wire is getting shorted.

theres a coin in your cigarette lighter socket

wrong circuit

sounds like the problem. someone else just had this problem. The dimmer wire is getting shorted.

ok thanx, I was just gona say today why would it matter if a coin was in there, but you covered that for me... lol

I really hope it is something that simple.

i was going to say the same thing about the coin until I realised it was on a different circuit. I would suggest looking at the deck wiring first and start tracing all the wires.

well i am in the car now and it is holding so far with a new fuse... new in box, I checked the deck wiring and it was all safe... no shorts in there.... what now if it goes again?

If it pops again, you have a short somewhere. It probably only happens randomly because the wire/connection is not shorted all the time, but when you drive and stuff moves around it makes contact and blows the fuse. Let me know if you need an interior wiring diagram. :wink:

yea the dimmer circuit shouldn't be too hard to trace in the GP. You're looking at radio, climate controls, DIC, cluster, the headlight/wiper switches and the SWRC buttons, so it's not some huge circuit that's all over the car. I can't remember if the lock or window switches are illuminated or not, so maybe them too, I know the Cutlass's are.

But if it happens again, either you have some continuity checking to do, or try unplugging components in the circuit individually to see if it's still happening. Most likely it's some wire though, not a component.