Looking at a 97 GTP today, what to look for? *Passed on this one. Thanks all*

Q-Ball

Hey, just need to know what to look at when looking at buying one of these things? It's right around the corner from my parents. Heres the info.

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-under-5K-1997-GRAND-PRIX-GTP-SUPERCHARGE-1398-00-WHAT-A-DEAL-W0QQAdIdZ56904608

Looks to be clean. Me and my brother might split on it. For once, I actually have enough money to buy this too!  :lol:

Yeah, I cant wait to take it for a spin. My brother told me the guy is selling it for a friend. I hope he has a list what it needs for safety. My brother will be taking pics with his cell. Just from the pics it looks like its well taken care of. Even the 5 spokes shine!

What was bad on the 97's? I heard something too, but I cant remember.

They aren't bad or unreliable they are just very different from the 98-03's. They are basically their own breed and to most people a '97 means nothing, but when it comes to mods there are many things that a '97 specific.

My buddy has one and alot of his mods need to be different for a '97. He's had nothing reliable service from the car even with his mods. When I asked him if he would get a '97 again, he said no.

Ok, Looked at the car and its definitely needs some work. Problems are:

- Has 298,000 KM. Kinda high.

-Drivers door has a hard time opening

-rear pass door window does not work

-Wipers dont move, but the motor is working

-Needs brakes all around

-needs mufflers

-body work

-climate controls dont work. Only works on highest fan setting but makes some weird noises

-a/c doesnt work

-radio works, but the clock doesnt for some reason.

-needs a new filler neck

-has the standard moisture in the tail lights

-coolant cap on res needs to be replaced

And thats just the bad.

The good is, its fast. Brand new Goodyears on it. Interior is in excellent shape, all leather. Shifts tight and smooth, has the 10 or 12 disc cd changer in the trunk, HUD works, SWC work. The rims are in nice shape too! I also talked him down to $1200.00 My brother really wants the car. If we fix it, were keeping it. If not, I will just try to sell it again. I got some pics I will be adding very shortly.

Don't get it.

RUST!

When the filler neck is bad already I can only imagine what other stuff is/has gone bad.

Yeah, Im getting 2nd thoughts on it. When you turn the climate controls on, it doesnt work till its on the highest. We took it for another spin and heard some rattling under the hood. Like vibrations. It wasnt a knock or anything. Im just thinking its going to be too much work to get it right. I would probably have to take apart the whole dash, which I do not want to do.

Chances are its mostly cheap fixes but the rust is bad I guarantee it.

Notice the salt on the carpet? This car is beat.

Yeah, I was surprised to see the salt on the carpet too. I do have enough money to buy it, but not really enough time to fix it. I have more important stuff going on in my life right now. After seeing the link I'd rather get a 98+ GP or Regal.

Chances are its mostly cheap fixes but the rust is bad I guarantee it.

Notice the salt on the carpet? This car is beat.

Yeah, I was surprised to see the salt on the carpet too. I do have enough money to buy it, but not really enough time to fix it. I have more important stuff going on in my life right now. After seeing the link I'd rather get a 98+ GP or Regal.

If you're going to mod I would get a 98+. It seems like everytime you want to mod something people ask if its a '97.

The salt is normal since it gets tracked into the car. But if it sits I guarantee salt underneath it. Thats what I had on the GP.

Like I said mostly easy fixes aside from the rust.

The things that make a '97 different are minute, but a lot of them effect typical mods for these cars, i.e. they have a different throttle body, different MAF sensor, physically different PCM, etc. This was the case even for '98, I believe, as those parts are always advertised as '99 & up in the for sale section. Not a big deal if you're not looking to mod, but just something to keep in mind when it comes time for parts. Now, on to the list...

Has 298,000 KM. Kinda high.

I just saw a video clip of a 211k mile GTP toasting a '95 TA on YouTube. So long as it's been taken care of, that part wouldn't worry me too much, especially for the price.

Drivers door has a hard time opening

Do you mean swinging open, or the lock, or the door handle?

rear pass door window does not work

Window motors going out are very common on the Gen II w-bodies (or for most GMs for that matter). The same exact window wasn't working on my GTP when I bought it. The next night, the window went down, and it hasn't stopped working yet! And yes, I realize I just screwed myself over by saying that.

Wipers dont move, but the motor is working

This may be a resistor issue, I'm not 100% sure. I know it seems to be a common problem for them, and there should be a fix somewhere on ClubGP.

Needs brakes all around

That's normal for just about any used car you're going to pick up. If all it needs are pads, that's not very expensive at all, especially if you can do them yourself.

needs mufflers

There are plenty of people selling those for dirt cheap on ClubGP all the time due to changing out their exhaust for a louder/freer flowing one. You can either pick up a set of those, or go for broke and get a louder/better flowing pair yourself. :wink:

body work

Honestly, I'd just leave it as is. Will address this further down.

climate controls dont work. Only works on highest fan setting but makes some weird noises

Another common problem. My sister's 65k mile 40th Anniversary GTP just went through this. All it took was the replacement of a little resistor in the dash.

a/c doesnt work

Does the owner know why/what's wrong with it? Mine didn't work when I first looked at it, but it just needed a drier receiver (which the dealer took care of before selling me the car).

radio works, but the clock doesnt for some reason.

Just the clock, or do you mean the whole display? If it's the whole display, I believe you can just replace the light bulb for it (have seen them for sale on ClubGP), or find one for cheap on there, and swap out the stereo. Just keep in mind that if it's a BOSE system, you have to replace it with a BOSE stereo.

needs a new filler neck

Another very common problem with these cars. I know several said this is an indicator that the rest of the car is rusty as hell, but I don't know if I'd use that as a marker on these cars. Mine is fairly rusty, too, but the rest of the car is in terrific shape.

has the standard moisture in the tail lights

As you said, this is standard. Mine weren't bad when I bought the car a little less than a year ago, but they were ever so slightly delaminating. Now the passenger side one is quite literally holding water like a fish tank. You can find these cheap enough at a yard, or on ClubGP. Or you can smoke them if you like that look. I want to experiment with my busted one to see if I can make a certain look happen.

coolant cap on res needs to be replaced

A "free" item from the local junkyard. :wink: Or you can swap the whole reservoir out for a newer style one, like many '97 owners do.

The good is, its fast. Brand new Goodyears on it. Interior is in excellent shape, all leather. Shifts tight and smooth, has the 10 or 12 disc cd changer in the trunk, HUD works, SWC work. The rims are in nice shape too!

Ok, so here's what your decision boils down to. As was mentioned, if you're looking to mod it, I'd say forget it due to year AND mileage. If you plan on getting EVERYthing fixed on that car, it's not worth it. The more expensive things like bodywork, or the a/c if something like the compressor is out, etc. will make this a deal breaker. However, if you plan on just getting the necessary things fixed (get the HVAC working, wipers, etc.), and drive it till the wheels fall off, it's WELL worth it. You could part it out, sell everything you just listed above, and easily come close to getting your money back out of the car. Get your use out of it for almost free. Can't beat that.

I also talked him down to $1200.00 My brother really wants the car. If we fix it, were keeping it. If not, I will just try to sell it again. I got some pics I will be adding very shortly.

Talking him down to $1,200 was a mistake. I would have thrown out maybe $800, hoping to get him closer to $1k, MAYBE $1,100. Knocking $200 off the asking price for a car that needs that much work is not a big deal. Just tell him you talked it over with some "car people", and they told you what the list or repairs is going to run, so you're not comfortable paying more than $900 for it, and see what he says.

Well I wanted to offer 750, but he said he had another offer of 1200. He would match it for me, but he said its a first come first serve. Went to get a deposit out, thought about it and decided not to get it. Instead I blew $200 bucks at costco instead. :lol:

Oh and the drivers door, you would have to use both handles and lift the door up a little before it would open. I guess that was a free anti theft device. :mrgreen:

Well I wanted to offer 750, but he said he had another offer of 1200. He would match it for me, but he said its a first come first serve. Went to get a deposit out, thought about it and decided not to get it. Instead I blew $200 bucks at costco instead. :lol:

Oh and the drivers door, you would have to use both handles and lift the door up a little before it would open. I guess that was a free anti theft device. :mrgreen:

They always say they have another offer, do not believe him.

I wouldn't even consider it.

y?

Umm... rust for one thing. Pictures make it look pretty beat up. Laundry list of problems. And it's a '97.

On top of the fact I would never own a 97+ Grand Prix.