1994 Cutlass Convertible General questions I suppose, totally new.

Joe4pal

So I'm most likely buying a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass supreme convertible with 87k miles on the 3.1L V6.

The car itself is very attractive and for the most part well taken care of.

Heres what I need help with.

1-The brakes feel really done with, I read that they came weak, but these are feeling like the pads are gone or something. Can I just go to my local mechanic and have him do the job?

2-The rubber seals around the windows are cracked and almost rotted looking. I read on here there is no replacement, is this still the case?

3-The most serious problem is this the radio and climate control aren't lit up at all, but they work. The guy selling the car said it comes in and out but it's usually out, I'm praying this is a simple fix or I'll go crazy.

4-While I'm fixing the radio and climate lighting problem I would like to maybe install a HUD, but I know nothing about them really except they show my MPH and are plug and play right?

5-Also whats a DIC, and is there a way to install a new radio but keep my steering wheel controls?

DIC is driver's information center, it gives you many useful pieces of information like average MPG and stuff...it was only on International I believe. I don't believe you can keep the radio side of your steering wheel controls if you get a new radio. Unless you are willing to pay outrageous amounts of money (check out this topic under "group purchases"), you will not be able to replace the weather stripping. I hope you're getting this fairly cheap considering it's got a few problems...I'm not saying it's junk just read up on the value (not just blue book) and make sure the price is adjusted accordingly. Does the radio/climate control light up and go off simultaneously?

DICs were available from 1989 (maybe 1988)-1991. It was optional in S, SL, Internationals and even convertibles.

Does the radio/climate control light up and go off simultaneously?

Yea instantly to the both of them.

Also what do you think would be a fair price for the car? The seller is asking 3000 and I was going to offer 2500 but now I dunno, advice?

Is this the display or the steering wheel controls?

Perhaps it's a loose connection at the headlight switch or a bad headlight switch.

Is this the display or the steering wheel controls?

Perhaps it's a loose connection at the headlight switch or a bad headlight switch.

The display for the radio and Climate control are the two things that look like they have no power in them, but continue to work correctly.

So I'll need a new headlight switch and problem solved? Hard repair? Estimated cost?

Also would this be an appropriate time to install a HUD? I just think they're so cool.

So many questions I know sorry

HUD requires either cutting a hole in your existing dashpad or finding a HUD dashpad with the hole already in it. It's not hard to do, but does require removing the whole upper dashpad, but electronically speaking it's plug and play. Also, in the Cutlasses, it's DIS, not DIC :lol: Driver Information System :mrgreen:

Do you know where the fog light switch is? The headlight switch is the one directly above the fog light switch. Ignore the ugly white steering wheel controls :smile:

7f29_12.JPG

And when you remove the headlight switch, be careful not to break the tabs that hold it in. The only thing that you need to remove it is a short phillips head screwdriver to remove the bezel and the switch snaps to that.

I'm liking this so far, seeing as how I don't have to remove the whole dash the HUD I'll get at a later date.

One more thing I promise if this doesn't solve the problem and the Radio and Climate control still look dead without light in them but occasionally work. What other problems could this be? Also does anyone have a break recommendation?

Just trying to think ahead for the future

The breaks just seemed unresponsive really, no ABS light on.

I currently drive a Lincoln town car and the car seemed to totally lack stopping power.

And when you remove the headlight switch, be careful not to break the tabs that hold it in. The only thing that you need to remove it is a short phillips head screwdriver to remove the bezel and the switch snaps to that.

Mine had T15 Torx.

The breaks just seemed unresponsive really, no ABS light on.

I currently drive a Lincoln town car and the car seemed to totally lack stopping power.

Sounds like normal W-Body brakes...you could upgrade if they bothered you that much, who had that kit available?

2-The rubber seals around the windows are cracked and almost rotted looking. I read on here there is no replacement, is this still the case?

You mean these, here? http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=66713.0

The solution for that is here.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=67641.0

Most people's are bad there. On the other ones? Silicone grease would help some.