Inertia Locks (Seats)

oldscsc

I didn't even know until a couple of days ago that my inertia locks (which I didn't even know existed) aren't working right, or working at all I guess. When I have to slam on the brakes and nobody is in the passenger seat, the seat will lean forward. 1)How do these locks work? 2)Why do they break? 3)How do you fix them? TIA :cool:

The seats in my Lumina have been like that since I got it. Not sure if it's even worth fixing. Probably involves replacing the seat as the lock itself is probably damaged.

Yeah, my car is the same way.. both seats. The little lever that you use to release them is broken. Has been... always that way, since I've owned the car.

Tell people to lean back. If they have their seat belt on they won't notice. :lol:

After reading all these posts about this, I'm wondering if just hitting the brakes hard aren't enough inertia. They may not work until you actully hit a solid object, like another car or gaurdrail. If you think about it, even slamming on the brakes as hard as possible with working abs is nothing compared to actually hitting something in an accident as far as inertia goes. The forces involved in hitting something at 30 MPH is just crazy and no matter ho fast you stop, it's not even close. Just a thought.

i dont think the inertia switch has anything to do with this issue. It just sounds like the lever is broken on the back of the seat. I will look into a repair for that

all i do is slam my seat back and see if it flys forward, thats how i can tell if my seats work although not sure if it's the best way. :lol:

Why would it matter if you hit something at 30mph or just brake? The whole point is so that the seat doesn't fly forward when braking, or for that matter, at all unless you push it forward.

I'm sitting here trying to think about the amount of force used to push the seat forward with one's hand compared to the amount of force exerted by inertia when braking... I'm also discovering that I'm not very physics smart. :lol:

I don't think I have ever seen a w-body with those seat locks in proper functioning condition.... maybe a trip to a dealer is in order to find out what the deal is....

Jamie

Mine do move a little, but I've done some experimenting, and the inertia locks DO work.

Go about 30mph as stated brake and try and push the seat forward with your right hand, mine let you move about an inch and then they stick, your's should as well.

I'm not even sure how having the backs go forward actually makes the car more dangerous. Your seat belt isn't attached to the seat, adn it should lock, though many GM's don't when you slam on the brakes.

Mine do move a little, but I've done some experimenting, and the inertia locks DO work.

Go about 30mph as stated brake and try and push the seat forward with your right hand, mine let you move about an inch and then they stick, your's should as well.

I'm not even sure how having the backs go forward actually makes the car more dangerous. Your seat belt isn't attached to the seat, adn it should lock, though many GM's don't when you slam on the brakes.

It's not more dangerous IMO, I just prefer them to not do that, it's kinda annoying. But I guess it's no big deal because the only do that under heavy breaking, which I don't do unless I have to.

All the inertia locks in my W's have all worked as they should. In moderate braking, they move forward a bit and then stop against the locks.

Actually it does make it a little more dangerous. Even if you're wearing your seatbelt and it locks, the inertia and weight of the seat adds to your own weight and inertia, increasing the amount of force of your body pressing against the seatbelt. I'm not sure that additional weight and inertia will have any real-life effect, but it's definitely not a good thing.

Mine don't lock, they'll fly forward under heavy braking. Even having weight in the seat doesn't matter, because my own seatback moves forward.

It's been like that since I got the car when it was only 5yrs old. I just figure it's another one of GM's innovative half-assed safety mis-features like door mounted seatbelts.

Another way to test is to park on a steep incline. Mine never lean forward under that situation. But they also only move maybe an inch under heavy breaking. I guess mine work. :dunno:

Another way to test is to park on a steep incline. Mine never lean forward under that situation. But they also only move maybe an inch under heavy breaking. I guess mine work. :dunno:

Now to find a steep incline I can park on...:thinking:

They're supposed to work like that.

THE ONLY TIME THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO LOCK IS ON AN INCLINE, THUS THE LEVER. READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

Pull the seat out and tilt it, it should lock.

i seriously think door mounted seatbelts are the dumbest thing. It is a PITA to leave the belt buckled and exit the vehicle :rolleyes:

It's pretty impossible...I've tried to do it before :mrgreen:

Yeah it's just a gimmick I was reading somewhere the only reason they did it was to say it was a safety feature, and somehow this kept them from either having to put in airbags so early, or it was so they could meet the standards in 94 and not have dual airbags so they didn't have to re-design the dash right away. I can't remember where I read it, but that was the just of it, it's a gimmick they call a safety feature so they could get by not doing something with the airbags.

Yeah it's just a gimmick I was reading somewhere the only reason they did it was to say it was a safety feature' date=' and somehow this kept them from either having to put in airbags so early, or it was so they could meet the standards in 94 and not have dual airbags so they didn't have to re-design the dash right away. I can't remember where I read it, but that was the just of it, it's a gimmick they call a safety feature so they could get by not doing something with the airbags.

[/quote']

Ya its considered a passive restraint. Basically so its always on, and gets around putting airbags in. Its just like those automatic seatbelts back around that time.

Thank god our cars didn't have that.