recharged the a/c today

89SupremeCutty

mine for some reason the plug doesn't fits on the actual fitting to get the freon in, I use to take it to Firestone to get it charged(they also had trouble doing it) but I just haven't had time :sad: :sad:

mine for some reason the plug doesn't fits on the actual fitting to get the freon in, I use to take it to Firestone to get it charged(they also had trouble doing it) but I just haven't had time :sad: :sad:

Your not putting it on the wrong bung, right?

Your not putting it on the wrong bung, right?

Yeah they are different sizes to make sure you dont put it on the wrong side (pressure vs return).

Was it blowing out cold at All?

nope. the compressor wasn't even comming on for me to do it, it was that low. i bought a can of recharge from the 'zone for like $24 and it had the pressure gauge on it. took not even 5 mins to charge.

ok i dont know if this is normal but both my fittings appear to be the same. i can hook up the fitting to either one. i just know that the one next to the airbox is the right one

ok i dont know if this is normal but both my fittings appear to be the same. i can hook up the fitting to either one. i just know that the one next to the airbox is the right one

What year is your car? Possible you still have R12 which is different fittings all together - in which cause you need to evacuate what's left and retrofit the sustem for R-134a

Was it blowing out cold at All?

nope. the compressor wasn't even comming on for me to do it, it was that low. i bought a can of recharge from the 'zone for like $24 and it had the pressure gauge on it. took not even 5 mins to charge.

Wonder if that could be my problem. Idk if my compressor kick's in or not. It blows out a little warmer than out side on a hot day.

which cars still came with R-12? according to my monte(95) it takes R134a. was there a cutoff year with each model or the whole platform?

and this is going to make me sound retarded but at least everyone will know what i'm talking about: is the line that comes out of the big canister right under the airbox pressure or return?

On my dad's truck there was a high and low pressure shutoff valve. It shuts off the compressor if it's undercharged or very overcharged. It doesn't kill the compressor if the level is bad and since you hear it cutting on or off, it lets you know when to charge it.

I'm debating looking into these, too bad it'd take some brazing and the compressor was replaced like five years ago. If anyone replaces their compressor I'd look into that.

Since this topic started with a pretty universal and (somewhat) useless statement I just thought I'd chime in.

I think the low pressure line is smaller and has the upward-facing port, but I can't remember off hand.

on my lumina it was facing at an angle. not sure if it's the same with other w-bodies with r-134a

as the topic states. it went very well and took about 10 mins.

Thank you for sharing this exciting and wonderful moment of your life with us.

You've been bitched !!!

your 96 should already have the r-134-a. the should be a sticker somewhere in the engine compartment saying to recharge with r-134a only. on mine it was near the drivers side strut tower not sure if it's the same on the cuttys or not.

Since this topic started with a pretty universal and (somewhat) useless statement I just thought I'd chime in.

why do you think that my statement was useless? cause people are asking questions about their a/c?

You've been bitched !!!

how?

How do i know if my 96 has been converted to R-134a

It should have come from the factory with R-134A. All 94+ cars have 134.

why do you think that my statement was useless? cause people are asking questions about their a/c?

I just thought it was funny the first post was just "I did it and it took 10 mins." :burnout:

By '94 ALL CARS went R134a. Pretty sure anyway.

:willynilly:

on my lumina it was facing at an angle. not sure if it's the same with other w-bodies with r-134a

at an angle? hmm.. I'm pretty sure my '90 and '92 have 1 port straight up, 1 port straight towards the passenger-side.

yea I just found a reasonably clear pic of the pipes in my TGP. The smaller line has the straight-up port and the bigger one has the straight sideways one. The bigger line is the low side (goes to the accumulator), the smaller line is the high side (comes from the condensor). pretty sure anyway :lol:

It should have come from the factory with R-134A. All 94+ cars have 134.

That's including '94, right? I hope I don't have R12 :confused: