99 monte front seat woes

99monte

My 99 monte LS front seats flip forward without pulling the lever.My wife says "that's unsafe!,you have to fix that!" I have read posts on this board that would indicate there are a lot of these models that act that way,but what I would like to know is whether they are designed that way,and if so, why the lever on the seat back,OR, if they are malfuctioning and need repaired, what is the procedure to repair them? My good old owners manual might tell me of this feature,but I don't have one.I just bought the car,and the previous owner must have needed the manual so kept it.Are manuals for these GM vehicles available online for free downloading?My wife's 99 Mur$ry Cou%ar manual came from such a sight.

The seats have inertia locks, they do not lock unless you're under heavy braking or parked on an incline. That's all the release levers are there for. Tell your wife to chill out.

The seats have inertia locks, they do not lock unless you're under heavy braking or parked on an incline. That's all the release levers are there for.

^^^ what he said :mrgreen: i have got in to my brakes very hard a few times, and i have had no problems yet.

When I have to slam on the brakes and there is no one in the passenger seat it will flip forward...and the lever is so I can recline the seat back further.

When I have to slam on the brakes and there is no one in the passenger seat it will flip forward...and the lever is so I can recline the seat back further.

Sounds like your inertia locks have failed. The first set of AQ9's I put in my GP had the same problem.

Sounds like your inertia locks have failed. The first set of AQ9's I put in my GP had the same problem.

How do you fix that? I'm not putting in new seats.....

Meh, it doesn't bother me and it only happens when the passenger seat is empty...I'm fine with it...I'm going to look for that write-up though, it would be good info to have....

Meh, it doesn't bother me and it only happens when the passenger seat is empty...I'm fine with it...I'm going to look for that write-up though, it would be good info to have....

both of mine do the same thing.....i just dont care enough to do anything about it....besides, it is really easy to get in and out of the back that way! :willynilly:

the 1st gen seats will never lock on its own like some other coupes do. The lever is only there *IN CASE* the inertia locks are in place due to parking on a hill.